[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Principle on Proportionality for "Thin Data"access

allison nixon elsakoo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 12:36:51 UTC 2017

>>If someone was determined to use that information for abuse, they could
do WHOIS lookups every day to determine if a domain had expired anyway,
right?

Or query for the A record repeatedly and watch for when it reverts back to
parking...

OR, when it comes to systems that perform blocking, simply block the very
first time a domain has been seen and start the counter from there...

>>Well, coming from 'self-proclaimed internet crime investigators' the term
stings less than intended...
I use the phrase because it's clear that they're going to ruin a number of
other efforts to maintain privacy and confidentiality- in the name of their
privacy sacred cow. It's clearly a failure of advocacy when that happens.
The term may have offended, but I don't take it back. You in particular
have been calling names since the very beginning, but I have a slightly
thicker skin.

Also your suggestion that those data elements can be abused is
high-larious. Please continue.