[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] The burden of proof (was Re: Principle on Proportionality for "Thin Data"access)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Jun 1 12:48:00 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 11:25:55AM +0200, Volker Greimann wrote:
> Even if there if no PII in thin data (and I am leaning to that direction
> myself), if there really a need for all these fields to be public for the
> purpose of the operationality of the internet? I am thinking of the created,
> updated and expiration dates in particular since those are the ones leading
> to the most abusive use.

I think I have argued, previously at some length and more briefly in
this thread, how those fields are useful and important for the
operational model of the Internet that prevails because of the
fundamentally distributed naturue of the Internet.  You have offered
not one shred of evidence that those fields in particular are "abused"
(the abuse, if it happens, comes from email, and we're talking about
thin data so no email addresses are involved).  And you have not
addressed the argument about how the Internet works.

I therefore believe that, if you want anyone to take seriously the
idea that we need to discuss any of the thin data any more, the burden
of proof lies on you.  Please either make such an argument, or let us
finally move on to discussing data where everyone acknowledges there
is a more serious issue.

In my opinion, we have spent long enough discussing the "simple" case
and artificially making it complicated.  It's time to move on to a
real problem.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com