[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Purpose in accordance with Registry Agreement section 2.18

John Bambenek jcb at bambenekconsulting.com
Tue Jun 6 17:19:59 UTC 2017

For the great majority of us, no one pays us for what we do.  So if
"contractual" in this case means "paying customer", now we are at least
getting to the heart of the matter. But it also misses the point.  We
are here because your have a contractual relationship with ICANN
(directly or via a registry).  We are arguing what THOSE contractual
obligations should be.

On this I would argue several things, the domain system and DNS is a
commons, not a mere private property.  ICANN's mandate is "The mission
of ICANN is to coordinate the stable operation of the Internet's unique
identifier systems."  Stable operations is quite profoundly more than
mere conveyance of a domain from registrar to registrant.  Some of that
inherently requires you the make public without access control some
classes of data (the domain itself and nameservers).  If you don't do
that, none of this matters because there is no internet. (Yes, I know
this isn't done with WHOIS, we are talking pure access to data at this
point).

If I am an end organization or end consumer, I have a right to work on
the stability of my own network and applications and that requires
knowing who I am communicating too.  It us untenable to expect end users
or end operators to establish an contractual relationship with *EVERY
REGISTRY* AT BEST.  At worst, they'd have to establish a contractual
relationship with *EVERY REGISTRAR*.  Considering there are arguably
criminal registrars, why would we ever expect good outcomes for
stability when it required cooperation from the very entity that has a
vested interest in not giving it to you?

Back to the idea of DNS and domains being a commons, there quite simply
is no Internet without it.  Registrars and registries may come and go,
but the impact of your decisions are global in scale.  Take any analogy
you like, regulation over who uses which radio frequencies, roadway
designs and access, maritime regulation... some things are global
resources that are used by a wide variety of stakeholders whose
interests must be balanced.  The purpose of ICANN and DNS is not the
mere transference of a domain from registrar to registry.  If it was,
why have a multi-stakeholder model at all?

Similar types of registries exist all over the world. Real property
records, for one.  That is because the interest of who holds title is
more important than just to the property holder.  In some parts of the
world, tax records are public. I could go on, but every nation is different.

As I mentioned above, most of the security / anti-abuse we are talking
about is provider free to consumers (and for that matter many
businesses).  If you set up a situation where those services have to pay
you, they can no longer be free to consumers.  Many people mention SEO
spam and the various spam revolving domain regisrtrations.  Sure, I'm
not saying it isn't a nuisance.  However, a large part of the spam
fighting that consumers benefit from is FREE.  If it is hindered (or
basically ended), that amount of increase in spam hitting consumers (who
will not nor cannot pay for services to protect them) will not just
increase, it will increase by orders of magnitude.  And not just scams,
malware, phishing, fraud... all of it.

I am sure that we can find something that will keep the data privacy
regulators at bay... that said, even if we can't, I assure you we can
make the case easily that the status quo is far better for the public
than the alternative that is being proposed so far.

So to get back to a potential solution... all consumers are allowed to
check a box on whether they have registrant details in their records or
not.  They are given links pointing to the pros, cons, and implications
of that decision.  The implications of that decision is that if they
enter data, people can use it for whatever they want (just like you can
do with twitter information today), but if you don't put anything in
there, then people like me may label the domain more risky than we would
otherwise.  They are making a free and informed choice, I am making a
free and informed choice.  We can a little bit of privacy for those who
want it, and we maintain the security provided to the bulk of humanity
that is given at no cost.

I'll even throw in for free helping write that education.  For the
mythical Chinese dissident, we can even direct them to Security Without
Borders (an organization I'm tangentially part of) that can provide far
more in-depth discussion on how to protect their privacy from
nation-state adversaries (in fact, many of the people on this list
arguing for maintaining access to WHOIS data are ALSO helping people pro
bono who are facing real threats and consequences if their identities
were exposed).

If you want to redo the protocol, fine.  One of the major reasons I pay
for DomainTools is being able to get simple normalized WHOIS
information.  But creating an authentication mechanism that will keep an
audit trail will also expose people like me who, for instance, will be
keeping tabs on the Russians in the run-up to the Germany elections to
detect if there is any pending attacks on their democratic institutions
(also a service that is provided for free) that will expose ME to
personal risk (that audit trail will surely be accessible to the FSB on
request) will also be problematic.  And we don't have to be anti-Russian
here, I'm sure there are people keeping tabs on my country's
intelligence services too who would prefer their identities aren't given
to the CIA upon receipt of an NSL.

I don't think it is in anyone's interest in creating a global
surveillance state for the domain system.