[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Purpose in accordance with Registry Agreement section 2.18

Neil Schwartzman neil at cauce.org
Wed Jun 7 16:07:15 UTC 2017

Heh.

John, I forget, isn’t China the place where one must go with government ID to register a domain?

How does any of this discussion at hand protect a dissident?

Would any dissident in their right mind trust whois privacy, even if whois is paper-thin, to protect their life with the weight of the Chinese (or other) government on the other side of the scale?

Nothing can be done to redact whois information sufficiently to prevent governmental abuse.

If a dissident were to rely on current or future redaction, they are painfully naive, and likely residing in a work-camp in Tibet (or elsewhere), at best.

"Police in China can do whatever they want; after 81 days in arbitrary detention you clearly realise that they don't have to obey their own laws. In a society like this there is no negotiation, no discussion, except to tell you that power can crush you any time they want - not only you, your whole family and all people like you." -  Ai WeiWei