[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Who is in charge? (was Re: Why the thin data is necessary)]

allison nixon elsakoo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 00:36:05 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 07, 2017 at 10:55:19AM -0400, Stephanie Perrin wrote:
> These are excellent questions.  I would add an additional one:  why are
> private cybercrime investigators not accredited?  How can the global
public
> trust them, or perhaps why?

There's even more deep misunderstandings afoot. There's also the implicit
idea that "private cybercrime investigators" are default untrustworthy, and
ICANN is by default trustworthy.

If you ever entered your data into a web form, you are trusting these "private
cybercrime investigators", and if you truly believe they are not
trustworthy, you are free to minimize what you share.

If ICANN is going to be entrusted with heaps of PII, "private cybercrime
investigators" will be employed to protect that data. Maybe even some of
the same people that are telling you it's a bad idea to collect it.

Second, ICANN has a consistently bad track record when it comes to inaction
in the face of known abuse. Not only is WHOIS accuracy the butt of jokes,
but some "bulletproof" registrars remain accredited long after they are
outed, and entire TLDs are infamous. And we're supposed to believe that
ICANN will suddenly start getting proactive about abuse. WHOIS is one of
the few tools that can be used to hold ICANN accountable!

There is also the deep misunderstanding that there is any accreditation
scheme that will produce the results you hope for without destroying the
utility of this. Unless this is merely ritualistic box checking, in which
case the misunderstanding is on me.

Another deep misunderstanding- the idea that the data is sensitive enough
to warrant this. People in the security community go through
"accreditation" to become private investigators or to get security
clearance, but to imagine WHOIS data on par with classified data or PI's
records is silly. If we're going to go through that, we better get the IP
and billing address too. The actual sensitive PII.

Andrew's point about voluntary interconnection is spot on. Networks are far
from perfect. ICANN won't save you, and neither will the government. The
Internet is NOT a safe place, and will not be made safer by blinding
people.

>>its role in IANA registries will simply be usurped by others, and
>>people will ignore the ICANN registrars and registries and everything
>>like that.  I certainly hope we never get there, because it would be
>>really painful and bad for the Internet

We're getting there. Entire top level domains are already ignored on many
networks like .science, .xyz, .pw, .top, .club, et cetera. These products
are becoming worthless to legitimate buyers due to abuse. "private
cybercrime investigators" are the people bringing these facts to light, and
the proper response is not to act with suspicion and demand that they fill
out more paperwork, but maybe think about why operators want to block vast
swaths of namespace and how much that reflects declining trust in ICANN
accredited entities.