[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] 2013 RAA Data Elements

Greg Aaron gca at icginc.com
Wed Jun 14 14:09:34 UTC 2017

This is a general plea to the entire group: don't just tell the WG your position.  Tell the WG WHY you hold you position, and provide facts, background, and your reasoned argument.   This is the way positions can be taken seriously, and this is the way we can educate each other.   It is also a way to avoid wasting others' time.

Rob, you "object to the publishing of the 'detailed status' information as unnecessary and an additional 'attack vector' for scams".   We have not heard what are you referring to -- can you describe or provide examples?  I'm not aware that the publication of status info enables any attack vectors, and I study this kind of thing professionally.

Rob, a GNSO PDP reaffirmed the requirement for registries and registrars to publish domain status info in WHOIS, and that Consensus Policy just went into effect last year.   You are a gTLD registrar and so  I assume you are aware of it.  Please tell us the compelling reason why that Consensus Policy is wrong and should be upended, and why the EWG rationales are wrong.
(See: Inter-Registrar Transfer Procedure Part B final report: "The goal of these changes is to clarify why the Lock has been applied and how it can be changed." I.E. domain management.   See https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/policy-awip-2014-07-02-en  and https://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/transfers/irtp-b-final-report-30may11-en.pdf  )

All best,
--Greg

Greg Aaron
Vice-President, Product Management
iThreat Cyber Group / Cybertoolbelt.com
mobile: +1.215.858.2257
The information contained in this message is privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.