[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] minimum public data set: some items not to forget

Greg Aaron gca at icginc.com
Tue Jun 20 20:24:14 UTC 2017

Two points for the record about the minimum public data set, so we can discuss them in more depth later.

Once: the fields have different names depending on whether you are looking at the 2013 RAA, or the new gTLD Base Registry Agreement.  Please see the attached.  They correspond well enough, but at some point we will have to memorialize the names we want to use.  I suggest going with the registry field names, since registrar WHOIS will go away under the GNSO's thick registry policy.

Two: we have been discussing domain-related info only.  At some point we should discuss how WHOIS also supports queries for Registrar data and Nameserver data.  A next-gen RDS can as well, and I suggest we discuss making that info part of the minimum public data set.  The Nameserver data has important technical purposes and implications, which I won't go into here.  The RDAP protocol has provisions for nameserver and registrar (entity) queries, among others.

Nameserver data as per 2013 RAA spec:
Server Name: NS1.EXAMPLE.TLD
IP Address: 192.0.2.123
IP Address: 2001:0DB8::1
Registrar: Example Registrar, Inc.
WHOIS Server: whois.example-registrar.tld
Referral URL: http://www.example-registrar.tld
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2009-05-29T20:15:00Z <<<

All best,
--Greg

Greg Aaron
Vice-President, Product Management
iThreat Cyber Group / Cybertoolbelt.com
mobile: +1.215.858.2257
The information contained in this message is privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.