[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] [More background] whois the protocol is bad (was Re: [For Background] APWG report on phishers use of Domain Name System)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Jun 29 21:59:46 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 02:52:00PM -0700, Michael Peddemors wrote:
> On 17-06-29 02:26 PM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> > The protocol needs to change -- has
> > certainly needed to for 20 years
>
> This has not yet been decided.. That is an opinion.

It is not merely my opinion, however.  It is the opinion of the IETF,
which approved the last charter of the WG that dealt with this topic
in 2015 (the WG was chartered originally in 2012).  You can read the
charter at https://tools.ietf.org/wg/weirds/charters; it outlines a
number of reasons why the old whois protocol is broken and needs to go
away.  (The IETF is usually too polite to say it quite that bluntly,
but I observe that the I-D deadline for IETF 99 is Monday.  If anyone
is dying for draft-sullivan-whois-die-die-historic-00, please let me
know.)

I would have thought, anyway, that given the international arguments
that are being brought to bear in this WG, the failure of whois to be
internationalized would be regarded as a fatal problem.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com