[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Mp3, Attendance & AC Chat for Next-Gen RDS PDP WG call on 07 March 2017

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Tue Mar 7 22:55:45 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email and the MP3 recording below for the Next-Gen RDS PDP Working group call held on Tuesday, 7 March 2017 at 17:00 UTC.

MP3: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-nextgen-rds-pdp-07mar17-en.mp3
 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-nextgen-rds-pdp-06dec16-en.mp3>

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#nov>

Wiki page:  https://community.icann.org/x/i6zRAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle DeSmyter

———————————————

AC Chat Next-Gen RDS PDP WG Tuesday, 07 March 2017

Michelle DeSmyter:Welcome to the Next-Gen RDS PDP WG call on Tuesday, 07 March 2017 at 17:00 UTC
  Michelle DeSmyter:Meeting page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_i6zRAw&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=rb_zSFlr0GhpsCDo_a0IB-zTrjEVHTC-gxVHKI1_IuU&s=8kyAcj6eGXwlAuwMKu6th6FrJx4DguOcodVMJ6yD-TQ&e=
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Hello Michelle
  Michelle DeSmyter:Hi there Maxim! :)
  Theo Geurts:Hello all.
  Chuck Gomes:Hello everyone
  Susan Kawaguchi:Good morning!
  Fabricio Vayra:good afternoon :)
  Amr Elsadr::-)
  Lisa Phifer:questions can be downloaded from https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_download_attachments_64072843_RDSPDP-2DQuestionsForDataCommissioners-2Dv8clean.pdf&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=rb_zSFlr0GhpsCDo_a0IB-zTrjEVHTC-gxVHKI1_IuU&s=BA1uub0zm0aa1OvibjHTs-_-hq1uklKQeF2m1fy7f9Y&e=
  Vicky sheckler:hi
  Jim Galvin (Afilias):I'll do my best.
  Lisa Phifer:If there is also an audience Q&A opportunity, WG members can raise questions as well
  Jim Galvin (Afilias):For a bit of context, I understand that I'm representing technology and technical issues related to privacy.
  Jim Galvin (Afilias):happy to answer any questions or listen to anything that anyone wants to say to me about this.
  steve metalitz:Chuck is correct re my request.
  Lisa Phifer:Proposal is to delete last sentence in Q3: "If so, would entities .... be considered in violation?"
  Marika Konings:so if you object to the deletion of that sentence, please put a red X
  Lisa Phifer:Theo and Marc, you can always raise that follow-up question during our Wednesday session, time permitting
  Theo Geurts:aye
  steve metalitz:Should read EU e-commerce directive.
  Vicky sheckler:ii am not on the bridge but strongly disagree
  Lisa Phifer:Won't DCs have encountered this potential conflicts between DP laws and EU commerce directive?
  Vicky sheckler:woould like to understand the interaction btn the ecommerce directive and GoPro
  Vicky sheckler:gdpr sorry
  Lisa Phifer:GDPR
  Greg Shatan:GDPR
  Lisa Phifer:thank you spell check :-)
  Greg Shatan:"interact" needs to be removed from the first sentence.
  Vicky sheckler:Steve is right - about registrants not registrars
  Tjabbe Bos (European Commission):If we're considering natural persons (i.e. not legal persons) operating as a service provider, I suppose the question could still make sense
  Tjabbe Bos (European Commission):But I am in doubt to what extent the EU e-Commerce Directive regulates those kinds of situations
  Greg Shatan:Article 5General information to be provided1. In addition to other information requirements established by Community law, Member States shall ensure that the service provider shall render easily, directly and permanently accessible to the recipients of the service and competent authorities, at least the following information:(a) the name of the service provider;(b) the geographic address at which the service provider is established;(c) the details of the service provider, including his electronic mail address, which allow him to be contacted rapidly and communicated with in a direct and effective manner;
  Theo Geurts:sounds to me this is becoming a rather complex question when we start mixing directives
  Lisa Phifer:At minimum it appears we should revise "Does this appply to domain name registrars?" to refer instead to domain name registrants and contacts for domain names?
  steve metalitz:Good to know that there will be a national DP authority among the panel.
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):the latter question is more for PSWG
  Marika Konings:FYI, the participants in the panel are: Opening remarks: Mr. James Bladel, chair of the GNSO Council and Mr. Johannes Kleijssen, Director of Information Society and Action against Crime of the Council of Europe Panel on ICANN and Data Privacy issues: Moderator: Ms. Becky Burr (ICANN Board), Ms. Abigail Slater (GNSO) Mr. James Galvin (GNSO) Mr. Thomas Schneider (GAC) Prof. Joseph Cannataci (UN) Mr. Giovanni Buttarelli (EDPS) Mr. Wilbert Tomesen (Article 29 Working Party)
  Lisa Phifer:@Greg, generalize title to "Access to registration data for criminal and abuse investigation" ?
  steve metalitz:Thanks for this list Marika
  Lisa Phifer:The headings are purely to organize the list, not to limit the questions themselves
  Greg Shatan:Broader hading better.
  Greg Shatan:heading
  Lisa Phifer:We have edit direction
  Greg Shatan:Question 15 there's an unknown character..
  Lisa Phifer:@Greg, will delete that
  Marika Konings:Note that the next meeting after ICANN58 will be scheduled for Tuesday 28 March.
  Scott Hollenbeck (Verisign):FWIW Tuesday 28 March will conflict with the IETF meeting
  Alex Deacon:I'd like to see a proposal on paper to understand/comment
  Daniel K. Nanghaka:Sorry I missed the poll - been on the move - limited connectivity
  Vicky sheckler:agree with alex
  Lisa Phifer:@Alex, the list of goals would be moved from the body of the purpose statement but remain in the same section of the key concpets document, to serve as guidance as we finish the statement of purpose itsef
  Alex Deacon:thanks
  Vicky sheckler:apologies but i need to leave early today
  Michele Neylon:I have to leave as well
  Michele Neylon:need to rescue my car
  Michele Neylon:see you all in Copenhagen
  Lisa Phifer:The purpose of the RDS is to provide an authoritative source differs from facilitiate disemmination of auth data
  Fabricio Vayra:+1 Greg
  Fabricio Vayra:and authorization from whom?
  Fabricio Vayra:the data subject, ICANN, etc?
  Daniel K. Nanghaka:Verification is always an issue
  Fabricio Vayra:how about "disemmination of auth data in accordance with applicable policy"
  Alex Deacon:+1 Fab
  Lisa Phifer:authoritative data
  Fabricio Vayra:authoritative data
  Alex Deacon:"disemmination of authoritative data in accordance with applicable policy"
  Greg Shatan:+1 Alex
  Fabricio Vayra:data has to be authoritative as it comes from registry
  Sara Bockey:what if we take authoritative out?
  Greg Shatan:Authoritative source of crap data?
  Lisa Phifer:I think the statement is moving far afield from its original intent
  Greg Shatan::-)
  Sara Bockey:LOL @Greg.
  Elaine Pruis:once it leaves the registry it can be manipulated or modified so it is no longer authoritative
  Greg Shatan:Iterative processes can have these horse/cart issues (or dog/chase/tail issues)....
  Lisa Phifer:top-down or bottom-up  - does the statement of purpose drive policy, or do policies drive the statement of purpose (or is it iterative)
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):I am not sure we want to go into business of creating a technical method of cross communications between quite different parties
  Lisa Phifer:@Marc, I think you're talking about the EWG notion of purpose-based contacts
  Marc Anderson:yes Lisa
  steve metalitz 4:@Marc, isn;t everything you are saying consistent with this statement in Q7?
  Lisa Phifer:appropriate = "based on approved policy"
  Fabricio Vayra:+1 Lisa
  Lisa Phifer:I have heard two things mentioned - expanding the ability to contact for different purposes, and actually carrying out that communication. Does this purpose focus just on the former?
  Alan Greenberg:It is  A purpose to identify SOME contacts. That is all we can do
  Alan Greenberg:15 minutes to end of meeting.
  steve metalitz 4:@Marc, your tquestions are about which data elements should be available to carry out the purpose.
  Marc Anderson:@steve, I think that is definitly part of it.
  steve metalitz 4:Can the STatement of Purpose be put on screen?
  Lisa Phifer:The proposal was to delete brackets from around bracketed text, leaving that text, in all cases except for "[based on approved policy]" which will remain for further discussion
  Lisa Phifer:Poll could close 9am CET to share results with WG during our Saturday meeting
  Lisa Phifer:Sorry that was 9am CET Saturday
  Lisa Phifer:Allowing those enroute to participate upon arrival
  Benny Samuelsen / Nordreg AB:See you in Copenhagen
  Nathalie Coupet:Bye!
  Fabricio Vayra:thanks
  Alex Deacon:thanks!
  Daniel K. Nanghaka:Have safe travels