[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] a suggestion for "purpose in detail"

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Mar 22 03:34:44 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 03:26:24AM +0000, Rob Golding wrote:

> WHOIS/RDS is *NOT* in anyway necessary for the 'functioning' of the
> internet

The collection of the data through an SRS (which is the back end of
the RDS) certainly _is_ required to make the DNS work today.  We could
have done it differently, of course -- a nasty bit of hackery with
SIG(0) and DNS Update might have been good enough for most
registries.  But that's not what we did, and so collecting the NS data
for a given name is something that SRSes do, and therefore the
collection of that data falls under this WG's charter.  One might
think that was a scope mistake, but it's what the charter says.  And
since we're talking about data collection just now it's not a mistake
to talk about nameserver data, no matter how absurd that might seem.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com