[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] "access to whois" vs supporting a service (was Re: a suggestion for "purpose in detail")

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Mon Mar 27 18:55:06 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 12:57:12PM -0500, John Bambenek via gnso-rds-pdp-wg wrote:
> Respectfully I disagree. We are the domain experts here. Of course
> we should talk to regulators to better inform them of how the system
> works, why it needs to work that way and the best way they can
> balance their policy goals against other interests.

I would like to know, in the above passage, what "the system",
"works", "needs to work that way" all mean.  I thought that part of
what this WG was supposed to be doing was determining those things.
If the above is instead an assumption that the existing whois deployed
the way it is "works", then I believe the argument is begging the
question.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com