[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Reputation systems are not just nice to have (was Re: What we want redux)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Oct 4 18:56:54 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 04, 2017 at 06:25:44PM +0000, Marika Konings wrote:

> As such, the WG is asked to focus on requirements, not on existing WHOIS policies, and only when those requirements have achieved consensus, the question is asked whether a new policy framework is needed or whether the existing WHOIS policy framework can address these requirements (with or without modifications). For further details, please see the WG charter: https://community.icann.org/x/E4xlAw.

I think I may have been responsible for the suggestion that we try to
model the existing policy using RDAP.  To make it clear, I know what
the charter says, but the plain fact is that the mode of operation
we've been trying to use just isn't working: we are not converging, we
were never able to stick only to data collection, and we sometimes
seem to dig holes and then ask ourselves whether any rats might be
inside.

What I was suggesting, therefore, was to go from something that people
think they're familiar with (the existing WHOIS policies), and to try
to model it in a modern protocol (RDAP).  This is not an effort to
focus on the WHOIS policies, but instead to focus on using the
existing policies as an "intuition pump" to allow us to understand
what is actually a requirement and what is really just something we
think we need because we are familiar with the way stuff already works.

I think a lot of our difficulty is coming from our inability to
imagine alternatives: so much of this discussion refers to how the
whois actually is that I'm quite sure many people don't have a clear
idea of what the underlying moving pieces might be an where the system
might offer policy opportunities.  One can hardly come up with
requirements when one does not know something is possible.

But I also realised that it doesn't need to be any sort of consensus
document or anything.  I could just do it.  So, in my copious free
time, I'm going to try.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com