[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Legal basis vs. lawful

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Wed Feb 14 09:54:56 UTC 2018

Hi Alan,

when asking for excemptions, we would have preferred to get ICANN to
amend the rules that apply to all registrars similarly. As that was not
possible, we asked for what we needed to remain compliant with local laws.

However, none of those requests were system-breaking. For example
durations of data retention are behind-the-scenes changes that in all
likelyhood have no visible effect for anyone.

Redacting public whois records for a wide swath of registrants will on
the other hand have a profound impact for every party. LEAs will have to
jump through additional hoops for data access, registrants will no
longer be able to transfer domain names as easily (how would the gaining
registrar know where to send the FOA if there is no email address in
public whois), etc etc.

I think the actual effect of the deviations should be borne in mind when
looking at the chaos that will be wrought by fragmented data privacy
implementations.

I also want to point out that while everyone always assumes that
registrars are rejoicing over GDPR, this is not actually the case. It
will mean a lot of additional implementation work, manual handling of
requests for information, complaints and disruption of established
processes that quite honestly we would rather do without.

Best,

Volker