[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Legal Inquiry to ICANN

Chen, Tim tim at domaintools.com
Thu Feb 15 00:15:57 UTC 2018

actually I think Michael's proposal is very logical and constructive.

as I tried to point out in prior posts, the question is not that GDPR is
extraterritorial, it is exactly how the language around the
extraterritorial nature should be interpreted.  Some areas are clear, such
as Michele's repeated example of what he has to do as an Irish registrar,
but other areas are much less clear.   As I think these types of laws and
regulations often are.

since we're all going to continue to interpret the language in the way that
best suits our own interests, which is getting unhelpful, why not try to
get further clarity by specifically written questions to a law firm that is
now very up to speed on this issue?

put another way:  certain EU constituents on this list have made it clear
that they need legal clarity on their exposure, given the risks.  Why deny
non-EU constituents the same rights and abilities, since GDPR clearly
applies to them as well?

Tim