[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Legal Inquiry to ICANN

allison nixon elsakoo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 13:48:09 UTC 2018

I agree with this. The last this time the group met with the DPAs, there
was zero representation of the cybersecurity needs in relation to WHOIS.
The opportunity was totally blown. The DPAs need to be made aware of the
societal costs to the loss of WHOIS. If they were aware of that, they would
be much more receptive to the legitimate cybersecurity purposes for using
the data. GDPR mentions a balance of interests and there is no sign the law
was created with the intent to make cybersecurity work harder and increase
the risk of breaches. Considering how minuscule the value of the entire
domain industry is in comparison to the losses incurred by abuse of their
product, I think that is a compelling argument for the DPAs to consider. If
only it was ever presented to them.

If they state that some scheme is legal and serves a legitimate purpose for
society as a whole, then bam, it is legal.