[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Krebs On Security article RE whois and GDRP

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Fri Feb 16 18:52:56 UTC 2018

While it is clear that part of the problem is the low cost of entry for
access via some bargain basement registrars,
I fear that any attempt at a "price floor"  would be viewed as "price
fixing" and would run afoul of a lot of national laws.

Sam L

On 2/16/2018 1:48 PM, allison nixon wrote:
> You know what else might work? price floors. Every time some
> low-reputation registrar has a sale, the Internet gets inundated.
>
> I don't know the last time I have had to deal with abuse originating
> from an expensive TLD. it's always the cheap TLDs.
>
> If we mandate price floors, then the rate of domains registered solely
> for exploitative purposes drops like a rock, and our need for
> ownership info is much less, and few would be pushing youall to
> collect the info, and the abuse issue becomes almost an entirely moot
> point.

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Visiting Prof, Xi'an Jaiotong-Liverpool Univ, Suzhou, China
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: sam at lanfranco.net   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  https://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852