[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Facebook loses Belgian court case over consent and tracking

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Sun Feb 18 14:20:06 UTC 2018

And the beat goes on:

“Facebook ordered to stop collecting user data by Belgian court. Social
network instructed to delete illegally collected data or face €100m in
fines after it loses case over consent and tracking.”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/feb/16/facebook-ordered-stop-collecting-user-data-fines-belgian-court

Richard Allan, Facebook’s vice president of public policy for EMEA, said
the company was disappointed with the verdict and intended to appeal:
“The cookies and pixels we use are industry standard technologies and
enable hundreds of thousands of businesses to grow their businesses and
reach customers across the EU.

/*Important point: */For the social media companies the harvesting of
personal data is more than a privacy issue. It is central to their
business plans and their market valuations. To quote a Canadian
litigation law firm, companies will litigate "...until hell freezes
over", and when hell freezes over "...they will strap on ice skates and
continue to litigate".

As we work with RDS/WhoIS policy it is worth remembering that these are
hundred million dollar issues for the companies. They view tens of
millions a year in litigation as a "good investment".

Sam L.