[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Facebook loses Belgian court case over consent and tracking

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Mon Feb 19 14:29:35 UTC 2018

Hi Tim,

No, completely to the contrary. My point with that dollars reference was
that in some cases litigation is the preferred business response, rather
than compliance and paying fines. Also, the big revenues in mining big
data are outside the DNS sphere, and outside the abuses and "bad things"
that websites do to people. The big EU fines are more likely to hit
social media than Registrars, although they are risks there as well. The
revenues, and privacy violations, will come from profiling users by
mining big data for scraps of personal date to individualize target
marketing.

*/As a brief aside:/* This goes well beyond the remit of ICANN and is
actually worse than just being inundated by adverts base on personal
online behavior. Artificial Intelligence mining apps are increasingly
customizing the "news" one gets from news feeds, to help "glue the
eyeballs" to the adverts, creating a news silo of one.  (That is amusing
for me since I virtually live in two towns in two countries). Even more
worrisome is the growing practice for A.I. companies where A.I. "writes"
the news releases, now mainly in sports and finance, for thousands of
print and online news outlets. I know all of this is outside the ICANN
remit so I will stop there.

Sam L.