[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] The message to the community (was Re: Cancellation of RDS PDP WG meetings at ICANN62)

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Mon May 14 16:52:29 UTC 2018

All,

I would like to offer a simple low key suggestion here. It is based on a
"gut feeling" I have with regard to going forward. If "ICANN Tomorrow"
were to be a lot like "ICANN Yesterday" there might be some practical
gain from an in depth assessment of what we did well and what we did
poorly in the work of this GNSP-RDS-PDP-WG.

However, without making a long list of the factors in the air, I think
it would be prudent to do almost nothing until after the ICANN meetings
in Panama. Sustainable revenues from the last gTLD round, and (in my
view) the dubious prospects for a new gTLD round (or no significant
revenues even if there were to be another), plus the EC's GDPR, and
other bubbling global, regional and national policy and practice pots
give me the gut feeling that we may be on the cusp of "Adios ICANN 1.0"
and "Hola ICANN 2.0". I won't speculate about what I think that could be.

I may be completely wrong, but even if I am, I suspect that there is
little to be gained from pre-ICANN Panama reflection, little to be
gained that will be useful going forward.

My two centavos worth

Sam L.

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Visiting Prof, Xi'an Jaiotong-Liverpool Univ, Suzhou, China
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus), Econ, York U., CANADA
email: sam at lanfranco.net   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  https://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852