[Gnso-rpm-data] Action Items from 05 January 2018 RPM Data Sub Team Call

Julie Hedlund julie.hedlund at icann.org
Fri Jan 5 22:10:59 UTC 2018

Dear all,

Below are the action items staff captured from the RPM Data Sub Team meeting today (05 January 2018):

Action Items:

Re: Section 3 of the Charter Questions, Survey of TM and Brand Owners
Staff will find the purpose of the trademark claims notice;
Staff will incorporate edits into the Google Document and PDF.
Re: Document Management:
Staff will send a reminder with agenda 24 hours before the call that the Google Document will be locked for edits 12 hours before the call;
Staff will lock the Google Document 12 hours before the call;
WG members will use comments rather than strike out except for very minor (non-substantive) edits;
WG members will limit edits of questions already discussed to the lead and staff (with questions yet to be discussed reverting to action 1);
Staff will research how to view the document in “clean” not redlined/commented form without accepting or rejecting comments/redlines.

Notes:

1. Review Proposed Edits, Section 3, Survey of TM & Brand Owners, see: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EUXC03ccuYhRMa_X4hDCPrq88KkF6qBRkL6sCcNutoI/edit?usp=sharing

Page 18 (bottom): Obtain feedback on number of cease-and-desist letters sent -- (a) Does the Trademark Claims Notice to domain name applicants meet its intended purpose?

-- Not sure how the question corresponds to the charter.  Focus on the charter question is in the second from the left column -- focus on that language.

-- For this point, the source suggested by the sub team was "Survey brand owners and/or registrants regarding cease and desist letters sent/received" and as Kristine noted, the language in this current document is what was presented to and approved by the Council.

-- Switch to "What did you do in response to the claim notice/notices?" Data questions follow this format.

Data question: "How many times did the applicant agree to abandon its application [as a result of a cease-and-desist-letter.]"

-- Should be open to other possibilities -- the questions don't ask "did you leave it alone, if so why?"

-- Also, the notice that comes from the TMCH data base, seems we are asking about both.  In column 4 delete "cease and desist" with "what did you do in response?"  Also ask, what was the domain name.

-- Trademark Claims Notice = sent to potential registrants. Notice of Registered Name (NORN) = sent to TM holders.

-- Suggestion: Change to "Is the Claims Notice inadequate and, if so, how might it be improved?

-- Why are we asking Trademark owners this question?  Or are we asking them if this is the right tool?  Suggestion to Change to: "Do the communications you receive from the TMCH make sense?  How have you reacted to them? Do you receive anything?" or "How many of these claims notices did you follow up with actions?  What actions did you take?  (possible multiple choice -- but could be complicated)

-- Claims Notice is what is sent to potential registrants; NORN (Notice of Registered Name) to TM owners. This is the terminology used in all ICANN documentation about the Trademark Claims Service.

-- Leave out the content of the claims notice and focus on the reaction.

2.  Agree on document management methods:

1) Whether to continue to use the Google Doc as the authoritative document (with insertions and additions to be placed into it – staff can assist if you need us to);

2) Whether and when to “lock” the Google Doc prior to each Sub Team call, so that everyone is clear when we start the call about the exact version we are looking at for that day (note that staff has locked this particular document, since we are less than 2 hours away from the call)?

-- We had the original question and then comments on the questions before they were discussed.

-- Uncertain what revisions were captured or were some overwritten.

-- Crash with Google Docs caused some changes to be lost, but staff was able to restore the edits and the version before the crash.

-- Staff incorporated all edits as redline; the original text is still there.  No edits were made by staff to the original text for both sections.

-- Suggestion that a question drafter should be able to speak to original questions/draft.

-- Suggest closing the document 12 hours before the meeting.

-- Suggest one form of editing showing edits as comments instead of strikeout.

-- Comments in Google doc -- you can also directly add the text but what you put in will be in a different color.

-- Can view the original if you go back to the first version, but staff will look into whether there is an option to view as clean versus redline.

-- Suggest that staff send a reminder 24 hours before the call that the document will be locked for editing 12 hours before the call.

-- When we are done with a section we are done with it.

5.  Timing for next call: Thursday, 11 January 22:00 UTC (Google document cut off will be 10:00 UTC on Thursday 11 January)

The notes from the call are posted to the Sub Team wiki space, together with the call recording, transcript and Adobe Connect chat and attendance records.

Best Regards,

Julie

Julie Hedlund, Policy Director