[Gnso-rpm-data] Registrant Questions Paragraphs for RFP

Tushnet, Rebecca rtushnet at law.harvard.edu
Sat Jan 20 21:47:24 UTC 2018

Thanks for beginning the discussion, Kurt.  I like the personal information point, though we may ultimately be asking people to talk about specific experiences.  I would suggest being somewhat less directive in terms of question formulation, as well as less discouraging about the task at hand.  I doubt that there are fewer registrants and potential registrants than registrars and registries.  Moreover, even sample sizes in the mid-hundreds may be sufficient to make good projections, if the samples are taken well.  Here are some suggested tweaks:

Regarding the Survey to Domain Name Registrants and Potential Registrants

The surveys of registrants and potential registrants address the broadest universe of potential respondents in the covered categories.  The bidder should consider (1) the survey contents, in terms of questions that registrants and potential registrants will be able to answer, and that, when answered, will provide meaningful information, and (2) the methodology of reaching registrants and potential registrants to provide meaningful results.

The ICANN volunteer policy team developing registrant survey questions has only created the rough drafts. Answers to these questions will inform the discussion of the Charter questions that you have read. ICANN staff and policy volunteers will continue to hone the survey questions during the vendor selection process and then will work with the selected survey provider to create a set of questions and methodology to economically and effectively elicit the requisite data.

Our guidance on this is:

To increase the likelihood that registrants respond:
The survey should be relatively short
It should follow other best practices in question formulation and sequence to avoid leading questions and elicit usable responses
Requests for personal information should be avoided

Rebecca Tushnet
Frank Stanton Professor of First Amendment Law, Harvard Law School
703 593 6759