[gnso-rpm-wg] Questionable UDRPs & TM applications

Emil emil at cv.ro
Sun Aug 21 18:44:01 UTC 2016

Dear Douglas,

I am leaving the example so that we can address it when the time will come.

I fully agree that the time is not now, and out of respect for the people involved I never chased it further by posting a reply.

However since it was seen inappropriate without further clarification, here I go:

To give you a concrete example to what I was referring (one of the statements quoted by you, belongs to me)

Diverging Trademark Registrations

On 28-09-2001 the Mexican Trademark office accepted a word trademark for “economy car rentals” which claims that the trademark is distinctive & well known.

On 11-08-2005 the Greek Trademark office accepted a word trademark for “economy car rentals” which claims that the trademark is distinctive & well known.

On 29-05-2009 the Brazilian Trademark office accepted a word trademark for “economy car rentals” which claims that the trademark is distinctive & well known.

On 29-11-2005 WIPO accepted a “logo only” figurative trademark on “economy car rentals”

On 22-10-2010 an EM European Wide “word” Trademark is rejected on “economy car rentals” for lack of distinctiveness.

On 11-04-2009 the US Trademark office accepted a combined trademark for “economy rent a car” (Combined), so not protecting the actual word

On 2011-11-04 the Turkish Trademark office accepted a word trademark for “economy car rentals” which claims that the trademark is distinctive & well known.

On 2014-09-18 an EM European Wide “word” Trademark is rejected AGAIN on similar grounds & lack of distinctiveness. Same applicant.

On 2014-09-18 an EM European Wide “figurative / so just the logo” Trademark is accepted -  which again makes perfect sense.

On 19-09-2014 the Romanian Trademark office rejected the trademark for lack of distinctiveness

Now if I am right, The Mexican, Greek, Brazilian, and Turkish TM office decision is wrong, since the expression is super generic & non-descriptive, as both WIPO and the European Union Intellectual Property Office motivated in their decisions. Thus it could not be considered a word trademark in the first place.

So if the owner of the economy car rentals trademark can invoke it’s TM rights in an UDRP against the owner of economyrentalcars.com or economy-car-rentals.com let’s say, based on the BR, TR, GR and MX trademarks,  then something is probably not right. As far as I am seeing, they are already in court & they will definitely get to this step.

This was a case which raised my interest a couple of years ago.

As a disclaimer I am not a lawyer, and I do not have the enormous experience & legal knowledge which some of the parties involved in our discussion do.

I never intended to make an “unsupported allegation”. I was merely asking a question and I do apologize if it felt inappropriate.

Emil