[gnso-rpm-wg] Role of the TMCH and proof of use (Re: TMCH Blog)

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Fri Feb 3 00:37:05 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

As the group continues to discuss questions that have arisen in relation to possible “gaming” and proof of use, staff thought we should highlight the following extracts from the 2015 RPM Paper that was prepared by ICANN. The final version of the Paper was published in September 2015, and it summarized the feedback received from the community on the draft that had been issued for public comment in February 2015.

The Paper acknowledged the possibility of gaming occurring via Sunrise due to the TMCH’s accepting marks from some jurisdictions that might grant trademark protection for so-called generic words or other highly-sought after terms. Nevertheless, the stated principle is that rights-holders globally will undergo the same validation process regardless of where the marks were registered: “[the] Clearinghouse processes are designed to verify trademark information as it has been issued by the authorities in the various jurisdictions; the Clearinghouse does not play the role of trademark examiners. The [TMCH] Guidelines are designed for review of trademark submissions according to a standard that does not favor one jurisdiction over another.” (see pp. 31-33 of the Paper, which you can find in full on our Working Group wiki page:  https://community.icann.org/x/4SWAAw)

Regarding proof of use, the Paper noted community feedback on challenges with satisfying the requirement. Some commenters to the draft version of the Paper thought the requirement was too strict, as the same evidence of use sufficient for renewal with the relevant jurisdiction was not always adequate for what the Clearinghouse verification process required. A specific example given was the rejection of samples containing extra text, since the sample must contain the exact name of the registered trademark as recorded in the trademark record. Others had difficulty with submitting samples that were not yet commercialized (although registered), and yet others found the process too time-consuming.

In terms of suggestions for improving the process for submission of proof of use, the Paper listed specific suggestions that included adding an electronic signature option for declaration of use, and providing exemptions for specific countries from being required to submit proof of use when such evidence is already approved by the relevant jurisdiction.

On a more general note, many of the topics, questions and suggestions described in the Paper are likely to be relevant to our work in this PDP. Staff will continue to highlight them as well as specific community feedback as appropriate, though you may like to read the full paper for yourself if you have not done so already.

I hope the above notes are helpful, especially for the Working Group’s evaluation of the TMCH verification criteria, and, possibly, the proof of use requirement.

Thanks and cheers
Mary