[Gnso-ssc] Recordings, Attendance & AC Chat from GNSO Standing Selection Committee call on 24 May 2017 at 14:00 UTC

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Wed May 24 18:17:29 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Please find below the mp3, attendance, Adobe Connect recording and chat for
the GNSO Standing Selection Committee held on 24 May 2017 at 14:00 UTC.

Mp3:  https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ssc-24may17-en.mp3

AC recording:
<https://participate.icann.org/p2yp1tricg7/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=1d0b66cd3929354d
21560731d101913a0a7092f23edd328723cd77441b3653ca>
https://participate.icann.org/p2yp1tricg7/

Calendar page:  <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-ssc/

Agenda Wiki page:     <https://community.icann.org/x/AyDwAw>
https://community.icann.org/x/AyDwAw

Attendees:

Frederic Guilemaut

Maxim Alzoba

Julf Helsingius

Poncelet Illelji

Susan Kawaguchi

Osvaldo Novoa

Apologies:

Lori Schulman

Renate Ribeira Aquino

ICANN staff:

Marika Konings

Emily Barabas

Mary Wong

Glen de Saint Gery

Trang Nguyen

Samantha Eisner

Terri Agnew

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 24 May 2017

  Terri Agnew:Welcome to the GNSO Standing Selection Committee meeting on
Wednesday 24 May at 14.00 UTC

  Terri Agnew:agenda wiki page:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_A
yDwAw
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_
AyDwAw&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpC
IgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=XiFu4QMZnYS9cRyk6lk9NIuqFh8hsMYNFwxZ3-lA8g
c&s=_YGkcEqJ9IGg9xuYwkzSJhAX8Y7w7-aU41m8TcpjBBs&e>
&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=XiFu4QMZnYS9cRyk6lk9NIuqFh8hsMYNFwxZ3-lA8gc&s=_Y
GkcEqJ9IGg9xuYwkzSJhAX8Y7w7-aU41m8TcpjBBs&e=

  Julf Helsingius:Could be a quick and efficient call... :)

  Maxim Alzoba:Hello All

  Maxim Alzoba:I think we might wait for 3 miuntes more

  Maxim Alzoba:or 2

  Julf Helsingius:sure!

  Maxim Alzoba:ok

  Frederic Guillemaut:Hello All,

  Marika Konings:Susan just confirmed she is dialing in now

  Julf Helsingius:yes

  Terri Agnew:Welcome Susan

  Susan Kawaguchi:I am so sorry

  Terri Agnew:Welcome Poncelet Ileleji

  Poncelet Ileleji:Thanks Terri

  Terri Agnew:Welcome Osvaldo Novoa

  Osvaldo Novoa:Hello all, sorry I am late, my previous meeting delayed me.

  Maxim Alzoba:Question: does EC have secritariate? who was supposed to send
all notifications?

  Maxim Alzoba:ok - answered, they use ICANN help with this

  Mary Wong:@Maxim, to further clarify - the EC Adminisration receives and
sends notices, and they will have staff support to help monitor the timings
and publication of these notices. For the EC as a whole, each Decisional
Participant (e.g the GNSO) will rely on its existing staff to exercise its
powers as a Decisional Participant in the EC.

  Maxim Alzoba:@Mary, Thanks

  Osvaldo Novoa:The Decisional Participants representatives in the EC
Administration are like the secretaries of the Decisional Participants in
the EC Administration. They have no excecutive powers.

  Poncelet Ileleji:Thanks for clarity Osvaldo

  Mary Wong:To follow up on Trang's comment, this is also the case for the
two new designated Directors from the ALAC and ccNSO respectively - the EC
Admin does not get to vote on their appointment.

  Maxim Alzoba:next please

  Maxim Alzoba:example

  Mary Wong:@Maxim, staff will be following up with the EC Admin on actual
running of the Community Forum in Joburg, but as Samantha is saying, each
Decisional Participant (in this case the GNSO via, presumably, the Council)
can provide input and guidance to its respective EC Admin representative.

  Maxim Alzoba:Question : are rules of Mediation fully formed?

  Marika Konings:It is likely that the GNSO Council would ask the SSC for
assistance on such types of appointments

  Marika Konings:following which the GNSO Council would consider those
recommendations and direct the representative accordingly

  Samantha Eisner:@Maxim, see section 4.7 of the ICANN Bylaws:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_resources
_pages_governance_bylaws-2Den_-23article4
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_resource
s_pages_governance_bylaws-2Den_-23article4&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVz
gfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=XiFu4Q
MZnYS9cRyk6lk9NIuqFh8hsMYNFwxZ3-lA8gc&s=cuVrBrumU9CBXQ0vaiYsBuYvJL0k-tQ0_ZCq
A3TB6gA&e>
&d=DwICaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=XiFu4QMZnYS9cRyk6lk9NIuqFh8hsMYNFwxZ3-lA8gc&s=cu
VrBrumU9CBXQ0vaiYsBuYvJL0k-tQ0_ZCqA3TB6gA&e=

  Maxim Alzoba:thanks

  Samantha Eisner:Thanks for having us

  Emily Barabas:a.           GNSO Chair - The Bylaws provide that the GNSO
Chair or another person may be designated. What criteria should be used to
decide whether another person should be designated? Is the GNSO Chair the
default designation or fallback choice if no other person can be designated?

  Emily Barabas:b.           Qualifying Criteria - If another person should
be designated, what are qualifying criteria? Process to review/evaluate
qualified candidates? Who should be considered qualified? Should the call
for volunteers be limited (for example to GNSO Councilors) or open call? Can
a general process for appointments/nominations be followed?

  Emily Barabas:c.            Alternate Rep - Is there a need to consider an
alternate in case the representative is not available or make an interim
appointment should the designated representative step down?

  Emily Barabas:d.           Term and Renewal What should be the term for
the representative? Annual certification is required by the Bylaws but that
does not necessarily need to align with the term. Is there a term limit?
What should be the renewal requirements? What is the timeline for the
selection / approval process?

  Julf Helsingius:Should we ask the bylaws drafting team what the intent
is/was?

  Poncelet Ileleji:I agree @Julf

  Maxim Alzoba:@Julf, I think we need to give mic to Susan then we come back
to your question

  Samantha Eisner:@Julf, as I mentioned during my remarks, the Chair was
identified as a fallback so that there was sure to always be someone
available from each of the Decisional Participants

  Julf Helsingius:ack!

  Samantha Eisner:There is no indication of term limits, only a requirement
for annual certification, so it's up to each Decisional Participant on how
frequently they wish to assess who is serving as their representative

  Marika Konings:Susan, if you would like a dial-out, please let us know

  Susan Kawaguchi:sorry microphone challenged tryigng to fix it

  Marika Konings:Maxim, Sam has her hand up

  Susan Kawaguchi:Terri please dial out to me

  Samantha Eisner:And in terms of alternates, it is really up to the
Decisional Participant if they wish to have a process for that, but there
would have to be a notice available to the community of the alternate
stepping into the role

  Marika Konings:she may be able to provide some clarification

  Terri Agnew:@susan, dialing

  Susan Kawaguchi:no it isn't working

  Susan Kawaguchi:I am so sorry

  Terri Agnew:Susan is on the telephone

  Marika Konings:Yes

  Maxim Alzoba:@Susan we hear you

  Osvaldo Novoa:We commented before that the representative should have
experience in the GNSO Council, a former member, not an actual member.

  Osvaldo Novoa:I favor a former GNSO Council member

  Julf Helsingius:Former or current

  Marika Konings:obviously you would have a closer connection to the
decisions and those that would need to be passed on with someone who is
actually on the Council

  Maxim Alzoba:+1 Julf (Former of current)

  Osvaldo Novoa: I agree with Juff

  Frederic Guillemaut:former / current, yes

  Osvaldo Novoa:The representative has to be confirmed by the GNSO Council,
so he or she needs the support of the Council.

  Marika Konings:what would qualify as former? How many years ago? Or if
someone has been on the Council at any point of time?

  Poncelet Ileleji:@Marika I will say at least 2 years on Council

  Poncelet Ileleji:Prior must not neccesary be on Council now

  Mary Wong:There is also no separate travel support or funding for the EC
Administration.

  Maxim Alzoba:and third option - rep of GNSO bodies (with support of those
bodies) and with ultimate support of the GNSO Council

  Frederic Guillemaut:we need to have a choice, so 5 years  might be better.

  Maxim Alzoba:I recommend no less than 1 year (6 months usually required to
get grip)

  Osvaldo Novoa:I think that the Council has to be informed of everything
that happens in the EC Administration, in order to instruct adecquately the
GNSO representative, but there is no need for the representative to be up to
date on what happens in the Council.  The representative cannot take any
decisions, just communicates the decisions of the Council.

  Mary Wong:Note also that just as the Council meets via teleconference, the
EC Admin will probably do the same. It's not clear that the EC Admin will
need to meet at every ICANN Public Meeting in any case.

  Marika Konings:travel support slots are allocated by SG/Cs so they would
need to consider making one of their slots available

  Julf Helsingius:didn't we reserve 90 min for this call?

  Julf Helsingius:Ah, thanks!

  Maxim Alzoba:same time next week ?

  Maxim Alzoba:RySG call has started and I need to be there

  Julf Helsingius:next week same time works for me

  Maxim Alzoba:Could we do usuall time of the meeting poll?

  Maxim Alzoba:next week works for me - though it is my PTO :(

  Poncelet Ileleji:OWorks for me too

  Poncelet Ileleji:sorry for typo

  Maxim Alzoba:I think we need to be back to our questions next week

  Marika Konings:We'll go ahead and schedule the call for the same time next
week

  Terri Agnew:will get invite sent out shorlty for call next week , same
time

  Frederic Guillemaut:i will not be available next wednesday

  Osvaldo Novoa:Thanks all and bye

  Frederic Guillemaut:by all,

  Trang Nguyen:Thank you! Bye!

  Poncelet Ileleji:Bye all thanks great info