[Gnso-ssc] Recordings, Attendance & AC Chat from GNSO Standing Selection Committee call on 5 October 2017 at 19:00 UTC

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Thu Oct 5 21:20:50 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Please find below the mp3, attendance, Adobe Connect recording and chat for the GNSO Standing Selection Committee held on 5 October 2017 at 19:00 UTC.

Mp3:   http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ssc-05oct17-en.mp3

AC recording:   https://participate.icann.org/p8sjj26931a/<https://participate.icann.org/p8sjj26931a/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=896f95e112d5b2ad970b1707c78a92e32c31a519668cb24ab5f98f198fe83a56>

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar&d=DwMFAg&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=GKYf-Wq0qgvU_qDKVbxZRJcxssoE_mgff7jYwZcsCJM&s=qp7-bAWUlAltEUYIP7zleCFjfAoaHY0ATsB3v2YDZ8M&e=>

Agenda Wiki page:   https://community.icann.org/x/dolEB

Attendees:

Maxim Alzoba

Susan Kawaguchi
Lori Schulman
Frederic Guillemaut
Tony Holmes

Apologies:

Renata Aquino Ribeiro

Rafik Dammak

Emily Barabas (staff)

ICANN staff:

Marika Konings

Nathalie Peregrine

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nathalie

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 5 October 2017
  Nathalie Peregrine:Welcome to the GNSO Standing Selection Committee meeting on Thursday, 5 October 2017 at 19:00 UTC.
  Nathalie Peregrine:Agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_dolEB&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=mL-h1mUp47iFPZQ8b4JrYzkTRTTSJHRD7yE2u3xsAHQ&s=g-0cdXXNIknY1tn9vbXtiFq5xXO7xlHd5adIWixhMhA&e=
  Guillemaut frederic:good evening !
  Maxim Alzoba:Hello All
  Susan Kawaguchi:Hello!
  Nathalie Peregrine:Welcome all!
  Lori Schulman:I dont hear anything
  Nathalie Peregrine:Coulc you hear me, Lori?
  Lori Schulman:now I hear you
  Nathalie Peregrine:Lori, I have had hard muted you as your microphone was open and causing background noise
  Maxim Alzoba:Carlos
  Maxim Alzoba:was the replacement
  Lori Schulman:my headset is not working. I am logging out and back in to engage headset
  Nathalie Peregrine:Lori, if you provide a phone number, we can dial out to you, if you would rather.
  Lori Schulman:I am in
  Lori Schulman:But now can hear.  Yes, Please dial out to +1-917-364-1465
  Lori Schulman:I mean I can't hear.
  Lori Schulman:Please dial out.  +1-917-364-1465
  Nathalie Peregrine:dialing out to you now
  Maxim Alzoba:as I understand we have majority of numbers in favour of Julf
  Marika Konings:FYI, only 2 SSC members did not fill out the survey (Carlos - replacement and Poncelet)
  Maxim Alzoba:Q9 - also he is the candidate with support of 3 SGs
  Guillemaut frederic:+
  Guillemaut frederic:+1
  Maxim Alzoba:Could we send an e-mail to Poncelet and Carlos to ask if they disaree with the results?
  Maxim Alzoba:I hear Lori
  Marika Konings:Julf was also endorsed by the NCSG
  Maxim Alzoba:With NCSG it is 4
  Marika Konings:NCSG endorsed two candidates: Paul and Julf
  Maxim Alzoba:as I understand qualifications required experience and devotion (in matter of time and participation)
  Marika Konings:as a reminder the qualifications and expertise criteria were developed jointly by the GNSO and the GAC
  Lori Schulman:Same here.  IPC leadership has given me instructions
  Tony Holmes:No candidates came to the ISPCP - of course we know Osvaldo very well as one of ours, and most of us know Jolf well
  Lori Schulman:If not Paul then IPC supports Osvaldo
  Lori Schulman:IPC has ranked the candidates
  Marika Konings:note that the SSC is expected to reach full consensus on its decision
  Marika Konings:(although I am not clear whether Lori is objecting to the lead candidate or whether she is just expressing her preference?)
  Guillemaut frederic:RrSG also chose Julf
  Lori Schulman:I am objecting to Julf
  Lori Schulman:on behalf of IPC
  Tony Holmes:I beleive this role is too important for fresh blood unless they are very well ranked against the agreed criteria
  Maxim Alzoba:he will have to start from the very beginning without learning curve
  Maxim Alzoba:RySG opinion took into account opinion of RySG GNSO Council (and their experience)
  Maxim Alzoba:* reps
  Tony Holmes:thats the point-  fresh blood to the Council and this role is about Council - GAC relationships and requires that experience
  Marika Konings:Do note that one of the requirements (as jointly agreed by the GNSO and GAC) is: "Significant experience in and knowledge of the GNSO policy development process as well as of recent and current policy work under discussion and / or review in the GNSO"
  Tony Holmes:I agree with Lori's sentiments regarding other appointments
  Maxim Alzoba:Do we know in which PDPs Paul participated, beyond the mentioned one?
  Marika Konings:I believe he only participated in the CCWG, not a PDP?
  Marika Konings:It may also be helpful to remind everyone of the main objective of this role: The GNSO liaison to the GAC (hereafter “the Liaison”) will be primarily responsible for providing timely updates to the GAC on GNSO policy development activities in order to complement the existing notification processes as well answering questions in relation to these (GNSO) activities that GAC members may have. Furthermore, the Liaison will be responsible for providing the GNSO Council with regular updates on progress, including on GAC activities, specifically in so far as these relate to issues of interest to the GNSO. The objective of the liaison mechanism, in combination with some of the other mechanisms that the CG is exploring, as well as existing early engagement tools, will be to facilitate effective early engagement of the GAC as well as generally assist with flow of information between the GAC and the GNSO. In addition to these existing engagement tools, regular co-ordination calls are to be scheduled between the GNSO
  Marika Konings:Liaison to the GAC and the GAC Secretariat to ascertain that all the relevant information has been received by the GAC and progress is being made, following which a regular status update is provided by the Liaison to the GNSO Council.
  Marika Konings:sorry, it got cut. If it is helpful I can put up the call for volunteers and criteria.
  Maxim Alzoba:Can we recommend to have apprentice like position?
  Maxim Alzoba:so the second in like can replace the first one?
  Maxim Alzoba:in case he is ill or something?
  Lori Schulman:Thank you for the context.
  Marika Konings:that is not something that is currently foreseen
  Tony Holmes:I would caution against an 'apprentice' approach - that suggests later election for that post
  Maxim Alzoba:I'm just thinking
  Maxim Alzoba:this idea is not discussed with RySG, it is my own idea
  Tony Holmes:In this election we have 3 very good candidates which makes the choice difficult
  Nathalie Peregrine:Marika is experiencing connectivity issues (electricity cut) but is still following on the audio bridge.
  Susan Kawaguchi:Thanks for letting us know Nathalie
  Lori Schulman:old hand
  Lori Schulman:i am on mute.  seeking counsel from IPC Leaders re: consensus driven decision
  Lori Schulman:I will say that there is strong sentiment that Paul or Osvaldo would be stronger choice.
  Maxim Alzoba:I think we need to ask them via e-mail to vote (so we have two voters more)?
  Lori Schulman:NPOC I think
  Maxim Alzoba:in SOI it is NPOC
  Maxim Alzoba:Are we suggested to come back to our SGs for additional guidance?
  Lori Schulman:Is the IPC the only one with a "no" vote?
  Maxim Alzoba:I think  we need those two voters
  Lori Schulman:I see that there is no path to consensus for Paul.  Is there one for Osvaldo?
  Lori Schulman:Julf is also coming off council.
  Lori Schulman:Is Osvaldo still on?
  Lori Schulman:I don't remember.
  Nathalie Peregrine:16 October    Motions and Documents Due for GNSO Council Meeting at ICANN Public Meeting Abu Dhabi
  Tony Holmes:If you are asking is Osvaldo still interested - then yes
  Maxim Alzoba:we need two votes more for proper reviwe
  Maxim Alzoba:review
  Lori Schulman:if all on the call vote now and reach consensus are done or do we still need 2 votes?
  Maxim Alzoba:another option is to ask their support/denial of the current results
  Maxim Alzoba:I have time
  Maxim Alzoba:and Poncelet
  Tony Holmes:No objection
  Maxim Alzoba:as I understand it is a position of a well experienced messenger who can speek both GNSO and GAC languages to ensure "translation"
  Tony Holmes:We should also express the view that we were thankful to have 3 very good candidates - can we include that recognition in the motion?
  Nathalie Peregrine:Please remember to state your names before speaking
  Nathalie Peregrine:thanks!
  Lori Schulman:Ok.  IPC support the rankings and do not object to Julf and we are very pleased that our concerns are noted and will be considered for future positions.  Julf is qualified.  We are ok with the outcome.
  Guillemaut frederic:Thank you Lori
  Tony Holmes:Well chaired Susan - thanks
  Guillemaut frederic:Consensus ;-)
  Tony Holmes:agree Monday latest
  Maxim Alzoba:Monday 23.59 US time?
  Marika Konings:what is that in UTC? ;-)
  Maxim Alzoba:it is the latest bit of monday ... if we are not talking about Hawaii]
  Tony Holmes:depends which US time :-)
  Maxim Alzoba:coast closest to Hawaii
  Maxim Alzoba:LA time
  Lori Schulman:I think we should have talked to the candidates.
  Lori Schulman:the position is that important
  Maxim Alzoba:it was good discussion
  Tony Holmes:good point Lori
  Guillemaut frederic:interviews next time ?
  Lori Schulman:yes, I think certain positions merit interviews
  Lori Schulman:this one does
  Maxim Alzoba:and talking to candidates we needed that at least once in the past, and most probably this time
  Guillemaut frederic:we should add that to the charter !
  Tony Holmes:thanks all
  Lori Schulman:ciao
  Maxim Alzoba:bye all