[Gnso-ssc] Notes & Action Items - SSC meeting - 05 July 2023 at 1400 UTC

Julie Hedlund julie.hedlund at icann.org
Wed Jul 5 18:22:47 UTC 2023

Dear SSC members,

Please find below notes and action items from today’s call on Wednesday, 05 July 2023 at 1400 UTC.   These also are posted to the wiki at:https://community.icann.org/display/GSSC/2023-07-05+GNSO+Standing+Selection+Committee.

Kind regards,

Caitlin, Emily and Julie

Action Items:

  1.  GNSO Secretariat staff to ask Tech Support to update the permissions for the candidate materials page.
  2.  Staff to determine whether SSC members can skip questions in the candidate poll: DONE – Questions can be skipped.
  3.  Staff to open the candidate poll on Wednesday, 05 July.
  4.  SSC members to complete the poll by COB Tuesday, 11 July.

Notes:

Proposed Agenda

SSC Meeting

1. Welcome and SOI Updates

  *   Anne Aikman-Scalese<https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/Anne+Aikman-Scalese+SOI> – GNSO Co-Liaison to the SubPro IRT
  *   Arinola Akinyemi<https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/Arinola+Akinyemi+SOI> – Fellowship Program Mentor

2. Review of upcoming SSC assignment and selection process:

a. See: GNSO Alternate Non-Registry Liaison to the CSC<https://community.icann.org/display/GSSC/GNSO+Alternate+Non-Registry+Liaison+to+the+CSC> and below.

Overview/Questions:

  *   CSC has decided to allow Alternate members.
  *   There were some issues with Milton Mueller missing meetings so there was identification of a gap (later established that there was a technical issue with Milton).
  *   GNSO Council assigned to SSC.
  *   Same process as SSC used for selection of Milton, so not a new process.
  *   Term doesn’t start until October 1 (this is a CSC determination, not Council), but good to get the process completed as soon as possible.
  *   Put a placeholder motion on the July Council meeting agenda and fill in the name when the selection process is complete – also could be moved/deferred to the August agenda.
  *   There was one candidate – John Gbadamosi – call for EOIs ended on 21 June.
  *   Question: With only one candidate should we extend the call for EOIs? Answer: It’s not surprising that there was only one candidate – this is a position that requires specific skills and experience.  Not likely that an extension would generate more candidates and, in any case, that is a Council decision to make.
  *   Question: Once the GNSO Council adopts the selection, can that person start attending meetings? Answer: Per the CSC the Alternate Liaisons’ terms start 01 October.
  *   Question: Is this a process to select the Liaison? Answer: The current Liaison is Milton – his term is not expiring and he has indicated that he wants to stay in the position; this selection process is for the Alternate Liaison.

b. Preview candidate evaluation poll.

  *   The poll is the same as we used for Milton.
  *   The candidate materials are on a closed page (SSC members only) --- we will take the action to check to make sure you all have access.
  *   Question: If we don’t know the candidate and so can’t answer a question can we skip it? Answer: Staff will test and see if questions can be skipped (DONE—they can).
  *   The poll is brief so we think about a week should be enough time.

c. Next Steps: See Key Dates below.

  *   Note that next week’s meeting to review the candidate poll results and make the selection is Wednesday, 12 July at 1400 UTC.
  *   If the SSC agrees on a selection there will be a 24-hour period on the list for non-objection and then the motion for Council consideration will be updated with the name.
  *   The meeting time does not conflict with the SubPro IRT.

Key Dates:

21 June 2023: Deadline to submit Expressions of Interest

27 June 2023: SSC notified of new assignment

05 July 2023: SSC meeting to review assignment/preview poll; launch poll on candidate

10 July 2023: Motion Deadline for July GNSO meeting (submit placeholder without name)

11 or 12 July 2023: Poll closes

12 or 13 July 2023: SSC meeting to discuss candidate (Additional meetings possible, if needed)

20 July 2023: GNSO Council meeting vote on candidate (24 August meeting if more time is needed)

Candidates (SSC members may access additional materials for the selection process here<https://community.icann.org/display/GSSCMO/GNSO+Liaison+to+the+CSC+-+Application+Materials>)

John Gbadamosi