[Gnso-subteam0b-policyimpl] MP3 Policy and Implementation Principles Sub Team - Thursday 09 January 2014

Julia Charvolen julia.charvolen at icann.org
Fri Jan 10 08:23:11 UTC 2014

Dear All,

The next Policy and Implementation Principles Sub-Team is scheduled for  Thursday 16 January 2014 at 2100 UTC for 90 minutes.

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working Principles Sub-Team call held on Thursday 09 January 2014 at 21:00 UTC:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20140109-en.mp3

Attendees:
Cheryl Langdon-Orr – ALAC
Alan Greenberg – At-Large
Greg Shatan – IPC
Chuck Gomes- RySG
Nic Steinbach- RrSG
J.Scott Evans - BC
Jonathan Frost – RySG
Tom Barett – RrSG
Michael Graham – IPC
Avri Doria – NCSG

ICANN staff:
Marika Konings
Julia Charvolen

Wiki page:https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Julia Charvolen
For GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript for Thursday 09 January 2014:
  Marika Konings:Welcome to the Policy & Implementation Principles (0B) Sub-Team meeting
  J. Scott Evans:I will need to leave on the hour
  Julia Charvolen:Nic Steinbach joined the meeting
  Nic Steinbach:That's great. I think we can skip my comments 3 and 4 if we use their definition...
  Julia Charvolen:Michael Graham joined the call
  Julia Charvolen:Greg Shatan joined the meeting
  Michael Graham -- Gnosis IP:Here is the text I just read:  “Multistakeholder Model” - An organizational framework or structure for governance or policymaking which aims to bring together all stakeholders affected by such governance or policymaking — including but not limited to business, civil society, governments, academic institutions and the technical community — to cooperate and participate in the dialogue, decision making and implementation of solutions to identified problems or goals.The “ICANN Multistakeholder Model” is composed of different Internet stakeholders from around the world organized in various Support Organizations, Constituencies and Advisory Committees, and utilizes a consensus-based policy development process, also known as a “bottom-up” model.
  Michael Graham -- Gnosis IP:Thank you, Marika, for posting the definition!
  Nic Steinbach:not adminent, but could we use regulation if people are concerned about the connotation of governance?
  EnCirca - Tom Barrett:I like J. Scott's suggestion
  Nic Steinbach:agree with j scott
  Nic Steinbach:i don't even know if affected is necessary
  Marika test:Remember, the first definition is general, not specific to ICANN
  Nic Steinbach:anyone can particiapte under ICANN
  Nic Steinbach:ah
  Nic Steinbach:but even for a general multistakeholder model
  Nic Steinbach:why are we defining what a stakeholder is? should be ultra generic.
  Michael R. Graham:Speaking of "Governance", it is useful to note that the www.icann.org site has a "Governance" section for resources relating to the formation and structure of ICANN itself.
  Nic Steinbach:mike appears to be broken
  Nic Steinbach:mic*
  Marika Konings:J. Scott, did I catch your edits correctly? (see right hand side)
  J. Scott Evans:Marika, in the second definition, Multistatkeholer Model shoudl be captialized
  Marika Konings:Done
  Nic Steinbach:no audio.
  J. Scott Evans:Otherwise, yes.  I think you captured my edits correctly.
  Nic Steinbach:i will die in
  Nic Steinbach:dial*
  Julia Charvolen:Thomas Barrett joined the phone bridge
  Nic Steinbach:i disagree with including the brackets anywhere. stakeholders 5 years from now may be radically different. ICANN is evolving...I think without the brakcets  it  is more robust
  Julia Charvolen:Nic Steinbach joined the phone bridge
  EnCirca - Tom Barrett:i dont think the words add anything of value
  EnCirca - Tom Barrett:in the colr red
  Michael R. Graham:"include but are not limited to individuals, groups and organizations in business, civil society, government, academic institutions and the tecnical community." ??
  Michael R. Graham:@Tom I could agree with you -- stakeholders in the ICANN context are those within the definition of "ICANN Multistakeholder Model"
  EnCirca - Tom Barrett:my issue is not in the list but in that we have two lists!  lets just use one list and say it is non-exhaustive
  Julia Charvolen:Avri Doria joined the meeting
  Greg Shatan:On the Internet of Things, could Things be stakeholders? :-)
  Michael R. Graham:I agree -- footnote.
  Michael R. Graham:Marika:  Could we include "individuals, groups, and organizations" ahead of the delineation of "business . . . " etc.?
  Michael R. Graham:in a particular organization and that has the ability . . . "
  Nic Steinbach:or remove that list
  Nic Steinbach:/ consolidate it our other list
  Avri Doria:we still in the chapeau?
  EnCirca - Tom Barrett:the existing text starting with "bring together the primary  stakeholders such as businesses, civil society, governments, research institutions and non-government organizations " should be edit to be simply "together the primary  stakeholders "
  Nic Steinbach:agree tom
  EnCirca - Tom Barrett:then allow the footnote to explain what a stakeholder is
  Nic Steinbach:except i would remove prmiary
  Nic Steinbach:primary* - not sure what purpose that serves
  EnCirca - Tom Barrett:actually, the word "outcome" would be better than organization
  J. Scott Evans:karma. alan. karma
  Greg Shatan:We should send this sentenc to the definitions committee.
  Greg Shatan:sentence....
  Michael R. Graham:@Greg -- Thanks!  That, or the semantic correctness committee.
  EnCirca - Tom Barrett:the missing word is "outcome"
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:switching to mobile / travel now off her back in audio only soon
  EnCirca - Tom Barrett:of all interested stakeholders
  EnCirca - Tom Barrett:add "interested"
  Michael R. Graham 2:Not to muddy waters, but here is Wikipedia on "Stakeholder": A corporate stakeholder is that which can affect or be affected by the actions of the business as a whole. The stakeholder concept was first used in a 1963 internal memorandum at the Stanford Research Institute. It defined stakeholders as "those groups without whose support the organization would cease to exist."[1] The theory was later developed and championed by R. Edward Freeman in the 1980s. Since then it has gained wide acceptance in business practice and in theorizing relating to strategic management, corporate governance, business purpose and corporate social responsibility (CSR).The term has been broadened to include anyone who has an interest in a matter.
  Nic Steinbach:why do we have a such as clause in that paragraph and a foot note?
  EnCirca - Tom Barrett:i agree with Nic that the such as phrase is unnecessary
  Michael R. Graham 2:+1
  Julia Charvolen:Cheryl is back on the call
  J. Scott Evans:I am going to have to leave the call here very soon.  Thanks to everyone for their active and robust participation.
  Michael R. Graham:I would agree removing "the primary"
  Michael R. Graham:Yea!  Good call, Marika.
  J. Scott Evans:Marika.  Move the sentence about stakeholder between the two definitions.
  Marika Konings:We actually scheduled  this call for 90 minutes
  Michael R. Graham:@Cheryl -- yours was a very cogent answer.
  Marika test:As this effort is specific to the GNSO, should we just list the GNSO SGs?
  Avri Doria:how about including the phrase including but not limted to and them mention the gnso SGs/C and Liaisons groups
  Michael R. Graham:@Avri -- those are actually listed I think in the "ICANN Multistakeholder Model" definition.
  Avri Doria:but can be mentioned in more general terms. constracted artioes, businesses, non commercials, service providers,  ...
  Avri Doria:put it in brackets
  Michael R. Graham:"organized in or represented by themselves and the various . . ."
  Greg Shatan:Anything less s than a 2-hour every week call (as in the IGO/INGO group) is a breeze....
  EnCirca - Tom Barrett:bye