[GNSO-TPR] Final Reminder - Deadline for feedback 24 June: Draft outreach document requesting early input from SO/AC/SG/Cs

James Galvin jgalvin at donuts.email
Fri Jun 25 12:34:43 UTC 2021

I know the deadline was yesterday and I apologize for this final comment
on this thread at this late time, but I do want to offer a suggestion
for consideration to include, i.e., refocus Steve’s suggested addition
to something different.

We agreed that DNS transfer service is not part of the charter.
However, we also agreed that DNSSEC service transfer is important, even
though we wouldn’t solve it here.

In coming to this conclusion, I believe we are making a point of
clarification that it is worth asking for additional input from the
community.  It is important our work product make this clarification and
we should give the community the opportunity to respond to this,
particularly because we should also indicate as part of our work product
that insofar as this work is important, there should be future work to
consider how to address it.

Specifically, we are saying that the secure and stable inter-registrar
transfer of a domain name should be concerned with two things: the
contents of contact objects and the name servers associated with a
domain name.  These are both critical elements with which the
registration system supports the Internet.  We are further declaring
that this PDP will only address the transfer of the contents of contact
objects.  Issues associated with the transfer of name servers,
particularly the effect on DNSSEC (which is a security service), will be
identified and relegated to future work.

We should ask specifically if the community has a comment regarding this
definitional clarification.

Jim