[gtld-tech] Second version of the URS High Level Technical Requirements for Registries and Registrars

Neuman, Jeff Jeff.Neuman at neustar.us
Fri Aug 30 16:29:15 UTC 2013

All,

I think we need to have a call on this.  There is too much in the way of legal language in this draft and frankly not enough of a true understanding of the business ramifications of these requirements.

To illustrate:  Why is it being dictated in a requirements document that a Registry Operator may only appoint a designee (called a BERO - which abbreviation should change as it is confusing to the EBERO term) by "written agreement."

It is unacceptable to include in a requirements document language such as "For the avoidance of doubt, the appointment of a BERO shall not relieve Registry Operator of its obligations under the Agreed Obligations and Registry Operator shall remain liable to perform the Agreed Obligations should the BERO fail to discharge the Agreed Obligations in whole or part in accordance with The Registry Operator's Registry Agreement."

We need to keep the lawyers and legal language out of the requirements doc.....

Jeffrey J. Neuman
Neustar, Inc. / Vice President, Business Affairs