gtld-tech Clarifications to the registry monthly transactions report for new gTLDs

Gould, James JGould at verisign.com
Wed Jul 3 22:19:02 UTC 2013

Francisco,

Verisign supports the initial comments provided by Jeff Neuman
at Neustar and that these proposed ³clarifications² require additional
discussion before implementing what appear to be changes to the ICANN
monthly
reports.  Assuming that ICANN leverages the monthly reports to reconcile
Registry and
Registrar fees payable to ICANN identified in Article 6 of the new gTLD
Registry
Agreement, we would have suggested that ICANN take the necessary time to
review
these proposed clarifications with the registry community as required by
ICANN¹s
bylaws, to ensure that the monthly transactions reports and required
financial
reporting and billing provisions are consistent.

These initial draft ³clarifications² appear to request the
counts for the new gTLDs to be based on the grace period end dates instead
of
the actual transaction dates.  We have historically counted the net
transactions for all other TLDs in the month that the transaction occurred
with
the exception of the auto renews, since you cannot wait 45 days for a
monthly
report.  Verisign feels that the reporting of the new gTLDs can and should
wait the 5 days for the grace periods (add, renew, and transfer) to
accurately
reflect the net transactions in the appropriate monthly report to retain
consistency with reporting and related invoicing.

Verisign has become aware that the ³clarifications² originally
posted only on this technical mail list on June 26, 2013, which were in the
process of on-going discussions, were nevertheless inserted into the final
draft
of the Registry Agreement, which was approved on July 2 (Ref: Redline from
April 29 version -
http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/resolutions-new-gtld-annex-3
-item-1d-02jul13-en.pdf).  It was premature to incorporate what you
called ³clarifications² into an agreement in this manner. There has not
been proper
review and comment among many interested parties including the registry
stakeholder group and others. We intend to address this regrettable
situation,
and other similar ICANN failures concerning the Registry Agreement, in an
appropriate forum.

--

JG

James Gould