[gtld-tech] Update to reserved names list for new gTLDs

Alexander Mayrhofer alexander.mayrhofer at nic.at
Thu Nov 21 15:24:47 UTC 2013

We have asked precisely this question to ICANN (noting that ICANN has their own "Languages Services" department, so they should have experts for all the UN languages available), and got the following response on Nov 19. (2013, that is ;) ):

"ICANN is looking into developing such a list, as resources are available.  In the meantime, registries should develop their own method for implementing the requirements in Spec 5.  Registries should be conservative (e.g., reserve both equatorial-guinea and equatorialguinea)."

We read this as: "Go ahead and do what you think is sensible to fulfill the requirement, but don't expect an official list anytime soon". But, i do agree with Gavin that it would be great if one of the already delegated TLDs could share the list they've been using...

thanks,

Alex