[gtld-tech] Delegated strings: WHOIS & SLAs...

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Thu Nov 21 20:48:18 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-21, at 15:03, John R Levine <johnl at taugh.com> wrote:

>>> ... and no delegation is permitted without a corresponding registration ...
>
> I always understood a delegation to mean NS records, or maybe a DNAME.
>
> We're talking about SRV here, nothing delegated to anyone.

Well, there are two ways to arrange for the name _nicname._tcp.TLD to have attendant SRV records -- one is to insert records into the TLD zone, and the other is to stick a zone cut between _nicname._tcp.TLD and TLD (in one of the two places).

I've heard that the first approach is no good because the registry agreement today prohibits it. I've also heard that the second approach is no good because a delegation without a corresponding registration is a minefield, and that a registration of the name _tcp is not possible because of script codepoint constraints.

So I think we've worked through all the possible options, and the answer is "contractually not possible right now".

Joe