[gtld-tech] Delegated strings: WHOIS & SLAs...

Jay Daley jay at nzrs.net.nz
Thu Nov 21 21:27:06 UTC 2013

On 21/11/2013, at 5:48 pm, Joe Abley <jabley at hopcount.ca> wrote:

>> I always understood a delegation to mean NS records, or maybe a DNAME.
>>
>> We're talking about SRV here, nothing delegated to anyone.
>
> Well, there are two ways to arrange for the name _nicname._tcp.TLD to have attendant SRV records -- one is to insert records into the TLD zone, and the other is to stick a zone cut between _nicname._tcp.TLD and TLD (in one of the two places).
>
> I've heard that the first approach is no good because the registry agreement today prohibits it.

Actually what people have said is

1.  Can't have a delegation that begins with _.  This isn't a delegation.
2.  Can't have a record at the apex.  This is not at the apex.

Therefore there does not appear to be any contractual prohibition on a _nicname._tcp record unless ICANN has redefined the meaning of 'delegation'.

Jay

--
Jay Daley
Chief Executive