[gtld-tech] Specification 5 - Country names... again..
alexander.mayrhofer at nic.at
Tue Nov 26 06:09:46 UTC 2013
> On 25/11/2013 17:09, Gavin Brown wrote:
> > I've added your list, plus the file I was working on. Let's see if we
> > can work out a format that makes sense for this - JSON? XML? YAML?
I'm attaching my version of the ISO3166 english names list (Section 4.1). As ICANN suggested, i went the "conservative" approach, and created multiple labels for names that allow multiple interpretations.
There are still a couple of open issues with my list, namely [most of them are politically sensitive]:
- For "bosnia and herzegovina", shall we also reserve "bosnia" as well as "herzegovina". At least "bosnia" is well used here in Austria.
- Same for "bonaire-sint-eustatius-and-saba".
- "brunei-darussalam" - add "brunei" standalone as well?
- "cocos (keeling) islands" - add "keeling islands" standalone?
- "FALKLAND ISLANDS (MALVINAS)" add "malvinas" standalone?
- "HOLY SEE (VATICAN CITY STATE)" - "vatican" just by itself as well?
- Particularly interesting: "KOREA, DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF/KP" vs "KOREA, DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF/KP"
- "LAO PEOPLE'S DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC" - "laos" is more well known... add that too?
I'm all in favour of creating a git repository etc. where the community of backend operators creates a unified list in an open manner. ICANN is watching this list, so at least they can't complain we did something wrong afterwards.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 16422 bytes
More information about the gtld-tech