[gtld-tech] Specification 5 - Country names... again..

Gavin Brown gavin.brown at centralnic.com
Tue Nov 26 22:40:40 UTC 2013

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your contributions. I have merged them into the lists that
Luis and I have already prepared, they are available on Github now.

> - For "bosnia and herzegovina", shall we also reserve "bosnia" as well as "herzegovina". At least "bosnia" is well used here in Austria.
> - Same for  "bonaire-sint-eustatius-and-saba".
> - "brunei-darussalam" - add "brunei" standalone as well?

Perhaps there are people who are more familiar with these countries who
can offer guidance? My personal feeling is that it would be better (from
a layer 10 POV) to block too many variants than too few.

> -  "cocos (keeling) islands" - add "keeling islands" standalone?
> -  "FALKLAND ISLANDS (MALVINAS)" add "malvinas" standalone?
> -  "HOLY SEE (VATICAN CITY STATE)" - "vatican" just by itself as well?

Where there are variants on the name, both have been added, so there are
entries for the Cocos Islands, the Keeling Islands, the Falkland
Islands, the Malvinas, the Holy See and the Vatican.

> - Particularly interesting:  "KOREA, DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF/KP" vs "KOREA, DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF/KP"

Those strings appear identical?

> -  "LAO PEOPLE'S DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC" - "laos" is more well known... add that too?

"Laos" has been added.

G.

--
Gavin Brown
Chief Technology Officer

CentralNic Group plc is a company registered in England and Wales with
company
number 8576358. Registered Offices: 35-39 Moorgate, London, EC2R 6AR.