[gtld-tech] What should registrars respond for non-sponsored names

Francisco Arias francisco.arias at icann.org
Fri Dec 4 22:56:14 UTC 2015

Dear colleagues,

Regarding open issue I.2 Whether registrars that are queried for a name
they don't sponsor should respond with HTTP 404 as a MUST or have the
option to redirect (section 3.1.2 in v06) in the gTLD RDAP profile.

In section 3.1.2 of v12 we left the MUST for registrars to return an HTTP
404 for names they don’t sponsor. Registries are the authorative source of
information, if a Registry says that a registrar is the sponsoring
registrar, but the registrar is not sponsoring the domain, something is
broken. HTTP 404 seems the most accurate way to indicate this. It is true
that RDAP uses HTTP, which requires support for loop detection, however
the registries do not redirect, they provide a link member as defined in
the profile, therefore, the built-in HTTP loop detection mechanism might
not work if the registrar offers a redirection to the registry. In any
case, we are deferring changing the current draft requirements until/if
there is consensus from the community to do so.

Your input is welcome.

Regards,

--
Francisco.