[gtld-tech] RDAP Policy Questions

Brian Mountford mountford at google.com
Mon Oct 26 20:58:26 UTC 2015

Hello all. I have some questions about the ICANN policy document,
directives 1.5.16 and 2.1. I couldn't find existing answers in the archive
of this list, so I thought I would ask. As a general matter, should I also
ask my RDAP-only questions here (as opposed to the issues specifically
related to ICANN policy)? Or is there another forum for such questions?

Brian

*1.5.16. Entities MUST use jCard [RFC7095] structured addresses.*

RFC 7095 defines two different types of structured address: one with the
street address lines concatenated into one string, and one with a subarray
for the street address. It says:

3.3.1.3.  Structured Property Values

  The vCard specification defines properties with structured values,

  for example, "GENDER" or "ADR".  In vCard, a structured text value

  consists of one or multiple text components, delimited by the

  SEMICOLON character.  Its equivalent in jCard is a structured

  property value, which is an array containing one element for each

  text component, with empty/missing text components represented by

  zero-length strings.

  jCard Example:

  ["adr", {}, "text",

    [

    "", "", "123 Main Street",

    "Any Town", "CA", "91921-1234", "U.S.A."

    ]

  ]

  Some vCard properties, for example, ADR, also allow a structured

  value element that itself has multiple values.  In this case, the

  element of the array describing the structured value is itself an

  array with one element for each of the component's multiple values.

  jCard Example:

  ["adr", {}, "text",

    [

    "", "",

    ["My Street", "Left Side", "Second Shack"],

    "Hometown", "PA", "18252", "U.S.A."

    ]

  ]

Which form is to be used in RDAP responses? If the first version (list of
simple strings, with the street lines concatenated), what is to be done
with addresses containing more than two street address lines?

*2.1. Registries offering searchable Whois service (e.g., per exhibit A of
their RA) MUST support RDAP search requests for domains and entities.
Entities MUST be searchable by name search pattern as defined in RFC7482
section 3.2.3 in order to allow for searches by contact name or address.
Boolean search capabilities (AND, OR) MUST be supported, when a RFC
defining this capability has been published.*

Domain and entity searches are specifically mentioned, but nameserver
searches are not. Does that mean that registries need not support
nameserver search? Or was that an oversight?

RFC 7482 does not cover entity search by address, only by name or handle.
Is ICANN requiring support for an additional way to search for entities?
What would the syntax of such a search be?