[gtld-tech] RDAP Policy Questions

Brian Mountford mountford at google.com
Mon Oct 26 21:50:53 UTC 2015

Interesting. So those are intended to be independent requirements. But I
still don't see a requirement for nameserver search with pattern strings.

2.1 refers specifically to search requests with pattern strings, but does
not mention nameservers.

2.2 refers to searching for name servers by IP address, which as I read the
RFC need not support wildcards (or am I wrong? can wildcards be used with
IP addresses? if so, what are the matching rules?).

2.3 refers to the case of multiple hosts with the same name; it doesn't
actually call out particular search capabilities, does it?

2.9 deals with entities.

2.10.1 calls out section 3.1.4 of RFC 7482, which deals with nameserver
lookup by fully-qualified hostname, not using a search pattern (that's
section 3.2.2). The rest of 2.10 appears to deal with format of the
returned data.

So it still looks to me like actual nameserver search, as discussed in RFC
7482, section 3.2.2, is not required by the ICANN profile. Is that correct?

Brian