[gtld-tech] FW: ICANN News Alert -- New Registration Data Directory Services Requirements for gTLD Registries, Registrars to Take Effect in February 2017

Klaus Malorny Klaus.Malorny at knipp.de
Mon Aug 1 14:14:57 UTC 2016

On 27.07.2016 17:55, Gustavo Lozano wrote:
> Hello Colleagues,
>
> I think that you may find this news alert of your interest.
>
> Regards,
> Gustavo

Hi Gustavo et al.,

in respect to the RDAP servers operated by the registrars, do I understand it
correctly that registrars also need to use and report ROIDs for referencing and
querying contacts/entities instead of the standard EPP handles, and that they
need to be reported as part of the output of domains, entities and name servers?

As you surely know, the EPP entirely uses (registrar defined) handles for
managing contacts and to associate them to domain objects. Similarly, the names
of the name servers are used for managing them and to associate them with the
domain objects. So in the normal workflow, the ROID simply does not matter, and
as such, it is currently not stored in the data model of our registrar
management software. Something what makes it worse is that the ROID is not a
by-product of normal registry operations. With standard EPP, one does not get
the ROID back upon the creation of objects or on transfer-in. One has to
explicitly inquire these. Also, if a customer decides to use a contact handle
sponsored by a different registrar, my system does not know the ROID neither and
has to inquire it explicitly (this does not apply for name servers, as they are
referenced by name).

So the use of ROIDs seems to be quite cumbersome and rather expensive in
comparison to its little benefit.

Regards,

Klaus