[gtld-tech] RDAP requirement for registrars sponsoring "thick" gTLDs only?

Thomas Corte Thomas.Corte at knipp.de
Wed Aug 3 13:16:22 UTC 2016

Hello Francisco,

On 22/07/2016 02:00, Francisco Arias wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I’ve attached release candidate 2 (i.e., draft final 2) of the gTLD RDAP profile in Office Open XML format. This version is a redline vs release candidate 1 (last version shared here on 30-June). We plan to publish the final version by early next week.
>
> Leaving aside minor wording and format edits, the main changes are as follows:
> 3. Section 3.1.1: clarified footnote regarding expected requirement for registrations under .com, .jobs, and .net.

I've got a question regarding this section, as it is currently published
at
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/rdap-operational-profile-2016-07-26-en:

It says:

"3.1.1. For all gTLDs, with the exception of .com, .jobs and .net,
Registrars are REQUIRED to provide an RDAP service for domain names for
which the Registrar is the Sponsoring Registrar, and the registration
data stored in the Registry is "thin". Registrars MAY offer an RDAP
service for domain names registered under any gTLD."

So, if a registrar *exclusively* sponsors domains in gTLDs with "thick"
registries (and, possibly, also offers .com, .jobs and .net domains),
does this effectively mean that there is *no* requirement to operate a
registrar RDAP server at all?

Correct me if I'm wrong or if this is not the intended interpretation,
yet it would actually make a lot of sense to lift the RDDS operation
requirements for registrars in this fashion, given that they have little
to add to the information already available from a thick registry's RDDS
systems.

Best regards,

Thomas Corte

--
TANGO REGISTRY SERVICES®
Knipp Medien und Kommunikation GmbH                    Thomas Corte
D-44227 Dortmund                      E-Mail: Thomas.Corte at knipp.de
Germany