[gtld-tech] RDAP referral to registrar ?

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Wed Aug 31 11:34:08 UTC 2016

Sorry if I’m coming late to the party . …

This conversation makes it sound like registrars are expected to run RDAP services .. but since they’d only be used for “thin” registries they’d only be used for a very limited time ..

Am I missing something?

Regards

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions

On 31/08/2016, 12:30, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <gtld-tech-bounces at icann.org on behalf of shollenbeck at verisign.com> wrote:

> [...]

    Gustavo, if I'm understanding what you're saying correctly it would seem to
    be a description of a use case in which redirection would actually be a
    *good* operational practice. If a registry has some data elements and a
    registrar has other data elements I believe it's possible to retrieve both
    sets of elements if (for example) a registry receives a query and responds
    with an HTTP 300 (Multiple Choices) status code:

    The RDAP response data from the registry can be carried in the body of the
    redirecting response. The client follows the redirect (or URI reference(s)
    found in the payload) to the registrar, sends the registrar a query, gets a
    response, and both sets of data elements are retrieved.

    Scott