[gtld-tech] weirds bootstrap, was Search Engines Indexing RDAP Server Content

Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Sun Feb 7 16:40:59 UTC 2016

On 7 Feb 2016, at 11:33, John Levine wrote:

> In article <56B740BA.6070208 at posix.co.za> you write:
>> It would be great if "old" gTLD's did the same thing.... and even
>> ccTLD's for that matter.
>
> We went through this in great length in WEIRDS, and I'd encourage you
> to review the mailing list archive.  We considered a bunch of in-band
> signals such as reserved names and SRV records, but we decided that we
> couldn't tell zone operators, particularly ccTLD zone operators, what
> to put in their zone files.  I'm not thrilled with what we came up
> with,

no one was. It is an example of a compromise between various
alternatives and design constraints.
and as you wrote, I’m not sure we want to start again that long
discussion. ;-)

> but having written an IP address RDAP client I'm using in small
> scale production, I can report that it works fine and the coding is
> not difficult.
>
> I'd be happy if the gTLDs just kept the info in the IANA database up
> to date.

well, in fact, the rdap bootstrap registry is just that, but with the
additional flexibility for RDAP.
So the registry value will be related to the correctness of the content.

Marc.