[gtld-tech] whois bootstrap, was [weirds] Search Engines Indexing RDAP Server Content

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Tue Feb 9 00:38:13 UTC 2016

>Taking IANA as a leading source is what we do as far as the information
>exists, and maybe from that side a 'wrapper' like $tld.whois.iana.org
>could be provided. I know there is such functionality around but I've
>never found one that is 100% free of errors.

I have a WHOIS locator list updated daily at <tld>.ws.sp.am.  (WS is
Whois Server.)

It uses a variety of methods to find the servers, the IANA list, the
common whois.nic.<tld>, and a manual list for the ones that are just
hard to find.  As far as I know it's correct and complete.

Oh, and it's DNSSEC signed, too, although that doesn't help much since
very few of the WHOIS names it points to are.

R's,
John