[gtld-tech] Draft RDAP Operational Profile for gTLD Registries and Registrars

Ronald Geens ronald.geens at dnsbelgium.be
Thu Jan 14 12:52:41 UTC 2016

+1

Ron Geens
DNS Belgium
.be/.vlaanderen/.brussels

On 14 Jan 2016, at 13:27, Hollenbeck, Scott <shollenbeck at verisign.com<mailto:shollenbeck at verisign.com>> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Francisco Arias [mailto:francisco.arias at icann.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 4:03 PM
To: Hollenbeck, Scott
Cc: gtld-tech at icann.org<mailto:gtld-tech at icann.org>
Subject: Re: [gtld-tech] Draft RDAP Operational Profile for gTLD
Registries and Registrars

On 1/12/16, 9:59 AM, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck at verisign.com<mailto:shollenbeck at verisign.com>>
wrote:

What implementation are you suggesting to be deferred?

Are we talking about more than one? As I understand it, the profile
has been
written to describe proposed RDAP implementation requirements for gTLD
registries and registrars. I'm asking if registries and registrars
that wish
to support tiered access will be able to defer an RDAP implementation
until an
agreement provision, waiver, or Consensus Policy that allows tiered
access for
more than 3 out of 901 gTLDs is in place.

Just so that I understand, why would you like a registry/registrar to
defer their RDAP implementation until there is a tiered access
provision/policy?

The answer is described in this blog post:

http://blogs.verisign.com/blog/entry/as_whois_transitions_to_rdap

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20151123_as_whois_transitions_to_rdap_how_do_we_avoid_the_same_mistakes/

designed to provide "complete functionality equivalence with WHOIS" (quoted
from the profile discussion session in Dublin) without taking advantage of the
new features in RDAP is itself functionally incomplete and inadequate. I want
to be able to deploy an implementation of RDAP that addresses the deficiencies
of WHOIS without first having to deploy (and later replace (probably more than
once) as the multitude of ICANN's WHOIS-fixing policy efforts evolve)
something that is little more than JSON-encoded WHOIS.

Scott