[gtld-tech] Registrar Expiration Date I-D

Maxim Alzoba m.alzoba at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 13:21:41 UTC 2016

Hello All,

I see lack of consensus.

Shall we conduct a poll where every member of the group could suggest the solution?

Then we can use it with greater community to find some mutually acceptable way out of this?

like:

1. conduct a research on how much is the difference between registry & registrar registration dates (few seconds)- x %, few minutes - y%, few hours z%, few days - ...% , other -
1.1. find out typical reasons for discrepancy
1.2. suggest resolution
1.3. implement it
1.4 Amnesty [make them even] for old records (works for minimal discrepancy fine, not a big issue) , rules for bigger difference in records.

The reason why registries can not change their registration date is that
backends of most registries work in real time (or hope to do so). The records are inserted and the date and time of that moment is a registration date&time for a registry, and it is impossible to change that logic without rewriting a large amount of  code or procuring services of another backend provider , which is a material change to the RA contract and most probably will go the way of disagreed change (18 month of debates).

P.s: we should not forget that what happens in TLD is a subject to this particular TLD's policies, and using something not compatible with it
is a subject of contractual compliance between a registry and a registrar.

Sincerely Yours,

Maxim Alzoba
Special projects manager,
International Relations Department,