[gtld-tech] Registrar Expiration Date I-D

Antoin Verschuren dns at antoin.nl
Wed Jan 27 13:20:07 UTC 2016

Op 27 jan. 2016, om 12:54 heeft Jody Kolker <jkolker at godaddy.com> het volgende geschreven:

> <
> Since the registry doesn't have access to the life cycle of the registrar-registrant agreement, this value doesn't belong in the registry database -- any more than, say, the expiry date of the registrant's credit card belongs in the registry.  The reason for this is that it is dependent on the registrar's business logic, so it can't be in a shared repository like the registry.
>>

> +1

Having read the tread for a while, I must say I agree with this too.
Bilateral agreements between registrant and registrar don’t belong in whois.
Next thing will be that the registrar wants to publish it’s commercial package name, SLA, sales department phone no etc in the registrY whois.

The whole problem is off course that some registrars want different business models than other registrars or registries, and want to save every penny without losing a domain name.
That’s fine, but don’t put the burdon of that business model to every other registrar with a different business model.

In the good old days, when a domain lost it’s owner because he didn’t want the domain anymore, a domain was deleted at the registry, and when someone new wanted to register it again, it just got into a new cycle with a new expiry date.

Nowadays, registrars hold on to their domains so they can resell it again at as little cost as possible, trying to gain from a former registrant’s unused registration period.

But there is one thing I don’t understand, or perhaps I miss in the registry-registrar agreement.
The most simple way to prevent these out of sync dates is to reset the expiry date at the registry whenever a domain is transferred or changes owner.

The only problem is a "sense” of either the registrar or registrant that they have not "used up” their entire registration period that they paid for.
But I think that is the cost that is associated with changing registration data continuously.
Billing and maintenance cost by the registry should also be taken into account.

One way of handeling this as I’ve seen with some ccTLD’s is to give registrars a choice of how they want their domains to be invoiced.
Invoicing can be different from the contract lifecycle.
Let them choose between let’s say 10,- a year or 1,- per month invoicing cycles for their domains.
If they then want to transfer a domain after f.e. 14 months after registration, they don’t feel that they have not "used up” their registration lifecycle they paid for.
And every registrar can choose a billing cycle to fit their businessmodel.
In the EU, legislation prescribes that for subscriptions such as domain names, a consumer must be able to cancel their subscription on a monthly basis after an initial first year contract f.e.
Registries are not excluded from that legislation.

This will also lead to better accuracy in the whois data, as the cycle will be restarted after every transfer or change of owner, so there is a clear incentive to have the data changed to the real user of the domain at that time.

- --
Antoin Verschuren

Tweevoren 6, 5672 SB Nuenen, NL
M: +31 6 37682392