[gtld-tech] Registrar Expiration Date I-D

Thomas Corte Thomas.Corte at knipp.de
Wed Jan 27 16:45:07 UTC 2016

Hello,

On 27/01/2016 17:22, Greg Aaron wrote:

> Once .COM and .NET (and .jobs) go thick, do registrars want to or need to
> operate WHOIS servers at all?

For think registries, the registrar Whois has always been a complete
waste of resources, and I truly hope that ICANN will drop the requirement
for it once all gTLDs have adopted the thick model.

> So I see three options:
> 1. Registrar-based WHOIS will always be required, because of expiration date
> variances we've been discussing here, caused by auto-renewals and registrar
> payment policies.
> 2. Registrar-based WHOIS goes away.  Registry WHOIS contains an Registry
> Expiration Date AND a Registrar Expiration Date field.  The registrar
> populates and manages the latter.
> 3. Registrar-based WHOIS goes away.  The WHOIS only shows the registry
> expiration date, and registrars and registrants have to communicate with
> each other about expirations and payments etc.

My personal preference would be 3, however (as said before) it seems that
registrant confusion about a domain's fate can best be avoided by option 2.

Best regards,

Thomas

--
TANGO REGISTRY SERVICES®
Knipp Medien und Kommunikation GmbH                    Thomas Corte
D-44227 Dortmund                      E-Mail: Thomas.Corte at knipp.de
Germany