[gtld-tech] Registrar Expiration Date I-D

Luis E. Muñoz lem at uniregistry.link
Wed Jan 27 18:00:08 UTC 2016

On 27 Jan 2016, at 8:45, Thomas Corte wrote:

> On 27/01/2016 17:22, Greg Aaron wrote:
>> So I see three options:
>> 1. Registrar-based WHOIS will always be required, because of
>> expiration date
>> variances we've been discussing here, caused by auto-renewals and
>> registrar
>> payment policies.
>> 2. Registrar-based WHOIS goes away.  Registry WHOIS contains an
>> Registry
>> Expiration Date AND a Registrar Expiration Date field.  The registrar
>> populates and manages the latter.
>> 3. Registrar-based WHOIS goes away.  The WHOIS only shows the
>> registry
>> expiration date, and registrars and registrants have to communicate
>> with
>> each other about expirations and payments etc.
>

> My personal preference would be 3, however (as said before) it seems
> that
> registrant confusion about a domain's fate can best be avoided by
> option 2.

I would argue that a significant portion of the Registrants reading

…yadda-yadda expiration date: <some date>
…yadda-yadda expiration date: <some other date>

will be a greater source of confusion, possibly causing support tickets
that someone will need to address. That, in addition to all the work
that having the two fields in the same place will cause. And to note, if
dates do not match today, they won’t match after implementation of the
proposed extension either. This looks more and more like the wong
solution for a non-problem.

Luis Muñoz
Director, Registry Operations

http://www.uniregistry.link/