[gtld-tech] Registrar Expiration Date I-D

Greg Aaron greg at illumintel.com
Wed Jan 27 17:49:57 UTC 2016

Four problems with #4:
A) The current registrar and the current registrant are not the only parties
with an interest in a domain's expiration date.  For example, other people
may want that domain when it expires.  Gaining registrars like to see the
expiration date when processing inbound transfers.
B) A domain's expiration date can be gotten via EPP <info> command.  No
reason to show expiration date in a <info> command but not in WHOIS.
C) Some registrants use WHOIS to understand their domains.
D) The registry has to store the expiration date no matter what.  So no
reason not to display it in WHOIS?