[gtld-tech] Registrar Expiration Date I-D

Luis E. Muñoz lem at uniregistry.link
Wed Jan 27 18:42:56 UTC 2016

On 27 Jan 2016, at 10:35, Greg Aaron wrote:

> The point was that domain expiration date should not be information
> only given to registrars who have the privilege of EPP access directly
> into a registry.  It’s data that’s been in WHOIS for twenty years,
> and access to it via WHOIS should not be withdrawn.

Fair enough. But then, taking your point further, if the current model
has worked for 20 years by exposing the Registry and Registrar versions
of the expiration date in their respective WHOIS services, what changed
recently that merits introducing a change where we’re trying to sync
two fields in a way that we know won’t be reliable / effective and
that has the potential to cause further confusion to the registrants?

> Domain back-orders are usually placed before the expiration date, not
> in the 30 days after an auto-renewal, and not during pendingDelete.

Perhaps this has the potential to further the time window in which
registrars selling these “back orders” can make business.

Best regards

Luis Muñoz
Director, Registry Operations

http://www.uniregistry.link/